Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and help lol

Hello and help lol

Hi everyone,
    New to the forum and new owner of a Buell 07 xb12ss. So a big hello to everyone and I look forward to soaking up as much knowledge as possible about this awesome bike. I've tried browsing some a few of my issues and I can tell already they're some very knowledgeable and handy guys around.

So on to my issues. I was driving around today and when I was cruising on the highway going about 70 mph or so, the bike started hesitating. I've seen people post on this issue, and a common culprit could be the grounds? The CEL came on, then would go off. It would pop up flashing when the hesitation started. Every time I would pull off and cutt the bike off thinking it was a heating issue. It eventually came on throughout my ride about 3-4 times.

So I get home and hook up ECMDroid and pulled the following codes:

14 - Engine temperature too low/broken wire
    13 - rear o2 always lean
    13 - rear o2 inactive
    21 - AMC short to ground

So any help is much appreciated. I however do not have a service manual, so other than the actual battery, I have no idea where the other grounds are located at.

Any ideas regarding the other codes and how to go about them?

Inactive
    i'm surprised you also didn't store #16. you have a bit of work to do on your 2007. have never used the droid thing and below fault codes are via the manual and ecmspy. perhaps someone else can interpret what i'm missing here regarding the droid codes you listed. traditionally those fault codes you came up with are voltage related or lack thereof....meaning ground related. see manual/spy code list below. when checking them you MUST remove the fasteners for same, inspect, clean and reinstall. a visual look NOT acceptable. also highly recommend you remove front plastic pulley cover(3 torx screws) and carefully check the wires and plugs behind the cover. unplug....inspect...clean...check for chafing...reinstall.....AND do the same with your battery cables! your grounds located as follows with slight production variances thru the years: front steering neck 4-wire cluster attached to either torx or triple clamp pinch bolt.......large braided wire attached to dog-bone under rear of airbox base plate....2 wire cluster at battery box area attached to frame torx screw.....the negative battery ground cable.
    also your condition of at-speed steady throttle cruising with fluttering CEL light and motor cut-off classic symptom of dirty/loose/corroded battery terminal condition. CHECK BOTH CLOSELY!

DDFI Trouble Codes for 2003-2007 inclusive:

Code # fault condition:
    11 Throttle position sensor
    13 Oxygen sensor
    14 Engine temperature sensor
    15 Intake air temperature sensor
    16 Battery voltage
    21 inter active muffler control
    23 Front fuel injector
    24 Front ignition coil
    25 Rear ignition coil
    26,27 clutch and neutral switch
    32 Rear fuel injector
    33 Fuel pump
    34 iac
    35 Tachometer
    36 fan voltage
    37,43 speed sensor
    44 Bank angle sensor
    45 side stand sensor
    46 start relay
    47 aux power outlets
    52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure
    56 Cam sync failure
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-09-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Lunatic. I have some free time today and I'll remove all grounds and inspect an clean them. Take her for a spin and see if issues are still there. I'll report back after.

Thanks again ����

Ok so I have checked all grounds. Cleaned and re connected them. Checked behind the pulley cover. 2 connections there removed cleaned and reconnected. Reinstalled battery. No corrosion on the terminals. 2 of the grounds were somewhat loose but were no the less connected.

While checking underneath the lower portion of the air box ( I did not remove entirely as I wasn't sure if I should due to the throttle body housing) and the large ground there were solidly tightened down. Only ground I did not actually remove and reinstall. When putting the cover back on you know how there are 3 wires that run atop of the cover; 1 throttle wire, a 4 prong wire connection, and a hose that runs close from the gas top? Well this hose from near the gas top I noticed when reinstalling the cover, the opposite end of it was dangling out by the rear left side of the tire.
    Is this simply a pressure release hose of sorts? Or did I accidentally unhook something? I have looked many times but don't see a loose end where it can be plugged in to.

If it's the hose near the fuel cap, it's the fuel tank vent hose. Totally acceptable for it to "dangle" out of the way somewhere.
    You need to remove your airbox to thoroughly check the wiring beneath it. From the codes you listed, you may have a frayed head temp sensor wire or O2 wire.
    Go to www.buellmods.com and download a service manual. That should help you answer a lot of "how do I.." Questions.
    Good luck

awesome! thanks for the link to the manual!

I took her out for a ride for about 40 miles, and the lights didnt come back on.. maybe the lose grounds cause some of them, but i still need to look into what you mentioned regarding the engine temp sensor an o2 sensor.

Will report back if i find any issues.

Marc

Got a chance to pull the airbox off and inspected the wires. What I believe to be in engine temp sensor was chaffed really bad.
    Just gonna order some new sensors. O2 I can get from auto zone.
    Does anyone know the part # for an engine temp sensor and where I can buy?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc83 View Post
    Thanks Lunatic. I have some free time today and I'll remove all grounds and inspect an clean them. Take her for a spin and see if issues are still there. I'll report back after.

Thanks again ����
    my pleasure marc and glad you apparently resolved this. also carlos spot-on as usual with his recommendations. your xb12 model has what's called "interactive exhaust" and the items you mentioned under the airbox cover are related to same. kneel down on right side of bike and look at top of your STOCK muffler towards front. you'll see a spring loaded valve and a cable on right side going to same. perched atop your inner airbox cover is the interactive exhaust valve modulator, the wires and plug to same that you described, the cable to operate same and the frame/tank vent hose again as carlos mentioned. if properly routed that black rubber hose should run down the left rear of cover, inside left frame rail and terminate by going thru a black plastic loop and "dangle" as you mentioned to atmosphere in vicinity of the fuel pump. it must NOT be pinched or bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc83 View Post
    Got a chance to pull the airbox off and inspected the wires. What I believe to be in engine temp sensor was chaffed really bad.
    Just gonna order some new sensors. O2 I can get from auto zone.
    Does anyone know the part # for an engine temp sensor and where I can buy?
    If the wire is just chaffed I'd repair it with some electrical tape or use some type of tubing to protect the wiring.

The wire had a silver wrap around it, and got torn through to the wire. Didn't look like it broke the wires though.
    Could a bad o2 cause my engine temp too low code?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast