Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello and help lol

I think that code is coming from your engine temp sonsor, it's the wire with the silver wrap that you were talking about.

I am not 100% sure its the engine temp sensor, but i think it is.. I used the diagram from the manual, and given the code i rec'd. But i could possibly also be the 02 sensor, so if you all are familiar with this sensor, please let me know. This is located on the right side of airbox/bike, but it also where all the wires get bundled. haha sorry the diagram pic was off of my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inactive
    you're now referring to THREE seperate and distinct sensors and i'm getting the impression this thread going sideways.
    1-IAT(intake air temp) sensor. located at and affixed to the airbox base plate at the 4 o'clock position.
    2-O2(oxygen) sensor. screws into bung atop your rear exhaust header tube.
    3-engine temp sensor. affixed to top of rear cylinder head.
    ALL quite different....none interchange....each displays a unique fault code #

Hi Lunatic, yes i know there are 3 sensors there and they all function differently.. Im sure it is not the IAT sensor. And given the code i have gotten (14 eng temp too low/broken wire) this looks to be the only culprit as far as having a broken wire.

But, back to my o2 sensor question, givin that i have the inactive code & too lean code, would it be safe to assume this sensor is dead, and needs replacing? Could this sensor also cause me to have some rough take off from a stop in 1st? i feel as though first is either all or nothing below like 3k. I did a TPS reset yesterday, and downloaded and used ECMSpy rather than the droid version i used to get the codes. Havent had a chance to take her out yet after i did that, so not sure if it still feels the same on take off, but i have a hunch my o2 could also cause a similar issue?

Thanks guys!

Inactive
    your bike is over 10 years old. O2 sensors get "lazy" and can cause the very problems you described along with fault code for lean condition. below is cross reference...all available online...all inexpensive...relatively easy to replace.

O2 sensor cross reference for all single sensor XB's

-GM OEM= 25162693
    -NTK= 21002
    -Airtex= 553071
    -Bosch= 12014
    -Denso= 234-1001
    -Walker= 250-21001
    -SNG= SN1-15

Luna, would you also recommend swapping the engine temp sensor? you can see the condition, but also since it threw the code.. is this sensor hard to install? any special tool needed?

and thanks for all those part #s for the o2

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc83 View Post
    Luna, would you also recommend swapping the engine temp sensor? you can see the condition, but also since it threw the code.. is this sensor hard to install? any special tool needed?

and thanks for all those part #s for the o2

you can or you can follow the advice carlos gave you. personally i'd just replace it. here's the part numbers that match up and here's the required socket.

Buell part #P1278.K which superseded part #Y0605.K
    H-D sportster part # 32564-99Y.....i'm positive this part interchanges with above. ask your dealer
    as per manual Snap-On socket # M3503B or equivalent required to swap it out. this socket is one of those special side-grooved gizmos that allows clearance for the wire when doing the job....in the same vein as a dedicated O2 sensor socket.

You rock!! Thank you sir

just to update the thread, after cleaning and reattaching the grounds, check engine light never came back on, and the hesitation i had never came back as well. i ended up changing the o2 sensor while i had her apart, did the breather mod, and shes running good now. Thank you guys for all the great advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12