Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zero power to bike

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    lunaticfringe whats the "problem" with tenders? I use a 1 amp tender with any auto shutoff. I did use a 2 amp tender with an auto shutoff that did boil dry a battery. Does the 1 amp trickle charger tender with auto shutoff also ruin batteries? I know of a factory Yasu battery that was rendered useless after a year that spent most of it on a tender. What would you recommend? Once a month pop it on for 24 hours?

All V-twins are total pigs on batteries! bad enough the compression stroke is a killer on starters and batteries, but you cant push start one to save your life. I had an inline 4, 1000cc with carbs that I push started for 2 years before I broke down to by a battery. Hey if it worked for GP bikes! (didn't have a slip clutch)
    i personally like tenders whether yuasa or deltran. i probably have 10 of them in my storage building hooked to assorted old cars and bikes in my collection that i actually ride. all go into one main receptacle box and that is on a timer. it activates @ 2200hrs and off @ approx. 0100 hrs. has worked nicely for years using that method and i'll typically get 10 years out of a car battery and 5 years out of most bike batteries with ease. MY EXPERIENCE ONLY is that the problems of "boil off" and "confusion" arise when they're left connected and plugged in for indefinite periods of time.

I like John charging concepts, on a smaller scale, I plug mine in once a wk for just over nite.

+1 on that. I do the same, and it also lets me be a little more aware of rodents, leaks, and general condition, if I can't just ignore my toys for 6 months at a time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123