Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero power to bike

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Patience, patience, maybe he hasn't gotten to it yet, you all know how life gets in the way of fun.

It is just too hot !
    Patience my *ss, If I had a bike that would not start I would not be able to sleep, I would be trouble shooting in my mind 24/7 until I got it running.

Aww come on. I'm not that bad, but patience is right. I ordered a battery and should get it today. Battery was holding charge, but they told me it had no cold cranking amps. Which seems legit, since it's like starting a tank to get this bike going. Starting there...and I'll give another update, once the battery comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg302000 View Post
    Aww come on. I'm not that bad, but patience is right. I ordered a battery and should get it today. Battery was holding charge, but they told me it had no cold cranking amps. Which seems legit, since it's like starting a tank to get this bike going. Starting there...and I'll give another update, once the battery comes in.
    Yea , just like the one I had Volts but no amps. You will have it going today right ?? LOL I never said you were bad , I am the bad one with no Patience ! and I know it.

*update, called to get my battery, said it never got delivered. Called Monday, no delivery. They said I should have it by wendesday, call this morning says it came in yesterday. I'll be picking up the battery after work and installing. Will give another update after the install.

HURRY UP!!!!

Haha

Bike fired up, as soon as I connected the battery. I was pretty excited so I took a ride. Talking with the guy at the shop, he advised against tenders too. Said with all the vibration, cranking bolts needed and heat changes here in northern California, that batteries tend to get after a year or two. Tender might help, but bells just require too much cranking power. All is well, for tonight. Thanks for the help and the patience...from some.

Also, I bought a battery and system tester off Amazon, as I never want to have to deal with this again. I do almost all my own work on my bike, but I know nothing about electrical ****. Once again thanks lunatic, for your help. I'll try and be more efficient about my response time.

Inactive
    Also, I bought a battery and system tester off Amazon, as I never want to have to deal with this again. I do almost all my own work on my bike, but I know nothing about electrical ****. Once again thanks lunatic, for your help. I'll try and be more efficient about my response time.
    you're welcome. i'm sure the "guy at the shop" meant well BUT let's clarify something here for you and other readers of this thread: buell XB's are demanding on batteries. that's a given. why? location....angle of placement....vibes....."compression bump".....and sporadic usage in most instances. none of this is related to a battery "auto-maintenance" device such as a tender. the inherent problem with "tenders" and leaving them attached and actively monitoring for indefinite periods of time is that they have an affinity for developing some sort of a "memory" wherein they eventually show the battery fully charged and healthy all-the-while it has been discharging and eventually dying. that is the best i way i can explain it. the deltran/yuasa techs don't fully understand why and neither do i. i do however know that what works quite nicely is a "tender" plugged into an outlet-style timer set to turn on for approx. 2 hours every 24 hour period. that method minimizes the "memory" scenarios.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-27-2017 at 11:09 AM.

lunaticfringe whats the "problem" with tenders? I use a 1 amp tender with any auto shutoff. I did use a 2 amp tender with an auto shutoff that did boil dry a battery. Does the 1 amp trickle charger tender with auto shutoff also ruin batteries? I know of a factory Yasu battery that was rendered useless after a year that spent most of it on a tender. What would you recommend? Once a month pop it on for 24 hours?

All V-twins are total pigs on batteries! bad enough the compression stroke is a killer on starters and batteries, but you cant push start one to save your life. I had an inline 4, 1000cc with carbs that I push started for 2 years before I broke down to by a battery. Hey if it worked for GP bikes! (didn't have a slip clutch)

With every hiccup a Buell throws at us, we learn from them. Glad you are up and riding !!!!!! and have more tools, ya cannot have to many tools.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast