Thread: Heard this is the place to get some help!

Heard this is the place to get some help!

Hey everyone, I just bought a buell XB12s that ran great the day of purchase. IMG_0365.jpg The next morning I fired her up and she ran for about 3-5 minutes fine. All of the sudden she died on me and has been wanting to start, but not starting. The place I bought it from has been working for a week. They have gone through all of the stuff the guy mentions in the picture. Any ideas???IMG_0395.jpg

I've got one.....
    Take it a different shop!
    If you need to post questions here to help them fix your bike, WTH are you paying them for?
    Especially considering the fact that it seems like the shop you have it at has no buell specific diagnostic tools.

Can you be more specific? Does it turn over? Sputter? Backfire? Any codes? Etc?

Well, did they replace the TPS sensor and do a TPS reset? Looks like that was where the text message left off. I did have a problem when I first purchased my bike second hand that HD could not diagnose after a month in their shop. I went on youtube and found a video of someone else that had the same problem as me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkh1Ttms7jU. His symptoms were the same as mine and his bike did not throw any codes. He replaced his TPS sensor and problem was solved. Here was my problem on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xPv_8jJeDc. Essentially, the bike would start, and then begin sputtering until it would die. Did not throw any codes at all. I replaced my TPS sensor with a Duralast TPS sensor from Autozone (you can get part number here on this forum under the crossreference thread) and replaced the sensor (took 30 minutes). I did a TPS reset, and was fine afterwards.

BTW, you can do a TPS reset yourself very easily. On 2007 and older XB's you will need to use ECMDroid or ECMSpy to reset it, but with 2008 and up you can do it without any special programs.

They had the tps reset at harley... it kicks on and will sputter. If i get on the throttle it will rev up very rough. I just talked to the mechanic and he is so frustrated he had it running before they sent it to harley.

Banned
    They forgot to replace spark plugs, spark plugs wires, and battery, forgot to check battery wires, ground spots and refresh fuel. Muffler also looks suspicious, so probably they need to install original muffler. Try Seafoam too.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-21-2017 at 09:24 PM.

did they replace the TPS?

Quote Originally Posted by XBTwinpower View Post
    Hey everyone, I just bought a buell XB12s that ran great the day of purchase. IMG_0365.jpg The next morning I fired her up and she ran for about 3-5 minutes fine. All of the sudden she died on me and has been wanting to start, but not starting. The place I bought it from has been working for a week. They have gone through all of the stuff the guy mentions in the picture. Any ideas???IMG_0395.jpg
    First idea, find a shop that might take the time to actually diagnose a problem instead on shot gunning parts @it. 90%of everything that can be wrong with these bikes can b found with A: your eyes and B:a DVOM. With those 2 tools and a service manual anything is possible!