Thread: Blowing 10A 'ECM' fuse

Blowing 10A 'ECM' fuse

2007 XB12Ss 31,000 miles.

I was going for a ride this morning and I made it about a block before the bike died. The gauges work and the bike turns over but I could hear that the fuel pump wasn't running.
    I pushed it home and checked the fuses and found that the 10A fuse labeled 'ECM' had popped. I figured that was a bad sign, but I put in the spare 10A and it started right up.
    A few minutes ago I tried to start it again and found the fuse blown again.

I pulled the fuse block off the metal bracket and checked the wires underneath and couldn't find any obvious bare wires.
    What should I check next?
    ECM itself, fuel pump?
    Is there a diagram of everything that is connected to that fuse position?

This probably isn't related, but I also noticed a week ago at a track day that the fuse that is labeled 'lights' does not power the headlight...

Inactive
    the fuse that is labeled 'lights' does not power the headlight...
    that's correct re. headlight bulbs ONLY for many XB series buells and i never figured out precisely why other than a running design change within the harness and fuse box itself.
    on your year XB a single yellow wire from fuse box to ecm. on it should be tiny label marked "keep alive memory". that is the single + feed wire.
    the ecm fuse MUST be rated @ 10 amps.
    ecm main wiring loom "A" has 2 grounds....both black. find both....unfasten....clean....reattach.
    ecm has 2 main plugs. unplug.....inspect for corrosion....clean if required....reattach.
    ecm can "crack" in vicinity of 2 main plugs. if and when it does it will continue to affect both performance and in some instances blow the ecm fuse.
    there is a chance however slight that a voltage surge will pop the ecm fuse. to rule this out remove your plastic front pulley cover.....carefully unplug and clean the connectors behind same....AND CLOSELY check both battery cables for cleanliness and tightness. it's rare but a loose cable causing momentary voltage surges can pop the ecm fuse.
    you may or may not have stored fault codes 52,53,54,55----------if so in conjunction with fuse situation you'll be replacing your ecm unit.
    below is basic wiring schematic

683749.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-23-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Boom. You're on it! The coffee must be good this morning!

I checked the codes and the only stored code is O2 sensor inactive, which is annoying because I installed a new one this spring. Guess I'll recheck the connection.

Since there was nothing ECM related I started to take the battery off and noticed the positive side wasn't very tight. It wasn't justrolledintotheshop loose but it turned way too easy, so I torqued it down and went for a ride. It seems like that was it.
    I guess if the positive lead is loose and resistance goes up, voltage goes down, and the voltage regulator in the ECM draws more current to compensate.
    I should know by now. When it doubt, assume everything on the Buell is unscrewing itself.

Thank you for the assistance!

Inactive
    I guess if the positive lead is loose and resistance goes up, voltage goes down, and the voltage regulator in the ECM draws more current to compensate.

not exactly but academic as you followed my recommendations and resolved this. in essence what i was telling you is that the ecm gets "confused and upset" when seeing voltage spikes/voltage losses/voltage spikes....on and on. pops the fuse.