Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak coming from cover??

Oil leak coming from cover??

Hey y'all,

Just looking for some input if I'm on the right track or not. I noticed what seemed to be some oil back where the blue circle is a few weeks ago. I figured it might be coming from that hose...

But I noticed again today it was back after some rain so I knew it was fresh. I'm thinking the screw in the red circle could use tightening and maybe it's just loose? I wiped it down and went for a ride and it was clearly coming from there.

But would that explain the oil further up? I also noticed the edges in the middle circle don't sit as flush as other areas on that seam. One last thing, when I changed the air filter it seemed like there was oil or gas in the plastic part the filter sits on.

I went through the shop manual and this is as far as I got, does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tankster; 07-28-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Looks like a 09, How many miles ? Well I would start off by Re torquing bolts to specs, How does the other side look ? Clean motor up then see were its coming from , and go from there.

Yup 09 about 14300 km got it at 13k about a month ago. Other side is completely clean and looks ok. Thanks for the advice I'll do it this weekend!

How do the rocker boxs look ? It is common to leak at those miles , Have they been changed yet? When they leak it makes a mess and the fan helps spread all over.

I doubt they've been changed but I did see that posted and took a look. Everything looks really dry above that area there isn't even anything dropping on the exhaust. I finally got the spark plug cables I ordered so I'll change them this weekend and take a closer look, I read the pvc valve is known to leak so I might as well check it too. And my gf thought it would be a quiet weekend watching game of thrones lol.

Hope its not your pvc , you can get the front off but not the rear without rotating the motor.
    Thrones great show I wouldn't miss it .

I'm doubtful it is but seems to be a common cause of leaking a bit higher up. Itd be our third time watching it did not expect it to be as good as it is.

My advice would be to degrease the motor really good and let it dry to be sure that there is no oil residue left, then take it for a ride. Be sure to stop frequently to pinpoint the exact sources of the leak(s) before they spread too far. Take a flashlight with you so you can get a good look. I would also remove the right side "engine shroud"(or right side scoop if it was upgraded) before the ride for a better view.

Banned
    I had similar leak with same symptoms two times on 2009 Buell XB12Scg. First time the leak source was Chinese starter without internal seals I used to replace the broken original one so primary case oil flown through the starter right in that spot. Then I fixed original starter and attached it back. Second time it was rear cylinder rocker cover gasket at about same mileage as yours. Oil flown down the rear cylinder. Also the fan was a bit oily. So check the fan condition too. Then I replaced rocker cover gaskets, PCV valves and PCV valves grommets and there was no leaks after that.

If you did not touch starter the source of the leak is probably rear cylinder top cover gasket. Clean engine thoroughly from oil and dirt, ride motorcycle ans keep an eye on it and you will see if it comes from engine top area.

When I messed with starter I also pulled out the stator wires grommet inside of the primary case, degreased it and sticked it back in the outlet hole with black RTV silicone. I am not sure this area was another source of the leak in my case, but I did it for piece of mind, at least now I have no leak at all. But to do this you need to open primary case and remove clutch assembly, primary chain and rotor to have access to the stator wires grommet.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-28-2017 at 03:50 AM.

I figured I should update. So far it looks like the bolts holding the oil pump together came loose. I used the torque wrench to tighten all the ones I could get to and the leak seems to be gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast