Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork seals/rebuild?

Fork seals/rebuild?

Hello,
    The fork seals on my 2006 XB12R need to be replaced.
    I found some good videos online and I feel confident of my ability to do this myself.
    Searching this forum I see that I need these parts:

Oil seals(24)
    Dust seals(26)
    Slide bushings(21)
    Guide bushings(22)

and obviously fork oil for my 225 pound ass.
    Are there any other wear components on these forks (compression/rebound, etc) or any upgrades that I should do while I am in there?
    Is there any reason to actually take them to a professional suspension shop?
    I plan on doing my first track days this fall and want to make sure my bike is predictable.
    Thank you in advance, and have a great day!

Mike
    Phoenix Arizona

Just take your time and have a nice clean area to keep all your parts in the order you take them apart. I like to print out hard copies of the service manual section so I can get it all greasy and oily. www.buellmods.com for the service manual.
    Tips from my experience: have a good method to compress your fork springs. It can be a royal PITA if you don't. Also use plastic baggies to cover your fork caps to avoid scratching them with your tools. I used a universal fork seal driver from cycle gear. Have some pick tools handy and lots of clean towels to keep everything wiped down and CLEAN!
    Good luck

Hopefully my video was one of them. If you need a hand I'm actually down in Maricopa

https://youtu.be/1FptHgvIhO4

That's a really nice offer AZ! He should take you up on it

If not, make sure to get a decent spring compressor, they are cheap and worth it to do the job one time.

Chicken said CLEAN! He's totally right, and use the same thin plastic to cover the threads on the fork tubes as you slide the new seals over.

At 225lbs (+ gear), the high ambient heat in PHX, and doing track days, you should seriously think about what weight fork oil to use. Where are your suspension adjustments? Almost maxed out? try 10w to 15w oil.

Thank you all for the advice!

Midget yours was one of the videos I watched. Gave me confidence!

I will surely have my garage set up like an operating room before I start this job!

I just got the bike and am doing a teardown to see where I am at and making a list of projects. I will set the suspension after I get it all back together. I am thinking about starting with 15W in the forks.

I will post my questions and progress.

Thank you!

Mike

Inactive
    I am thinking about starting with 15W in the forks.

i wouldn't do that. fork oil viscosity has NO correlation whatsoever to a riders' weight. viscosity only affects damping characteristics for both compression and rebound in conjunction with the external adjusters.
    do what you want BUT you're pretty beefy and you mentioned track days. if those were my intentions and i was dealing with 11 year old showa cartridge forks i'd have a pro-shop dismantle, test springs for both sack tension as well as serviceability for someone your weight....install emulators....and the proper amount of correct viscosity oil.
    why would i do this? their services are reasonably priced....they know precisely what to do and how to do it and you clearly don't.....their recommendations and expertise well worth the money.....and above all else....when reinstalled and ridden PARTICULARLY during "track days" the enhanced performance and rideability is stunningly shocking. do as you please.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-03-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Banned
    Manual says nothing about fork oil viscosity, but I use W20 belray fork oil.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Manual says nothing about fork oil viscosity, but I use W20 belray fork oil.
    Incorrect.

The recommended fork oil is hydraulic fork oil Type "E"
    (Part No. HD-99884-80.
    Which is a 10w oil

Banned
    How do you know it is 10w? Did you measure it?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-03-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    How do you know it is 10w? Did you measure it?

doubt cole had to "measure" it. common knowledge in the dealership world that E-type H-D fluid is 10wt. i've posted that info on here at least 40X.
    realizing that you have all the answers this will fall on deaf ears BUT....if you're running 20wt fork oil in a showa cartridge fork you'll never ever experience the full damping capabilities, suppleness, and outstanding performance these forks are capable of offering.

Last edited by user_deleted; 08-03-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast