Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30a battery fuse keeps blowing

30a battery fuse keeps blowing

So this weekend i had the dealer I bought my Ulysses from replace my starter with OEM as they had gone aftermarket and it stopped working. So I ride the bike Saturday no problems. Go around the block on Sunday no problems, then yesterday after going around 50 60 miles the bike cut off. Since the cluster wouldn't come on at all I checked the fuses and the 30a battery fuse was blown. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Then I rode back home about 40 or so miles no problem. Then this morning on my way to work(about 30 miles) I was getting off at my exit and then sure enough power went out again this time on the highway in stop and go traffic. Unfortunately this time I didn't have an spare 30a fuses. So while I'm sitting here waiting for someone to drop one off i call the dealer to tell them there's a short somewhere in the system and the advisor proceeds to tell me they'll look at it, but it's not there fault...im thinking it's the ground on the starter. Any other thoughts?

Inactive
    without knowing the year......which you failed to mention.....here goes:
    1-you never had this problem before....correct? starter assembly replaced and now the problem exists. the tech performing same needs to check his work closely.
    2-if 05-07 ulysses then remove the plastic front belt pulley cover (3 torx) and check the wiring bundles and specifically the #77 connector plug for any chafed/cracked/broken wires along with internal arcing and/or corrosion.
    3-a failing VR will typically continually pop the battery fuse.
    4-it's a rare occurrence but dirty/corroded/loose/frayed battery cables at either or both ends will cause a massive voltage surge and pop both the battery fuse as well as the ecm fuse though it's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    without knowing the year......which you failed to mention.....here goes:
    1-you never had this problem before....correct? starter assembly replaced and now the problem exists. the tech performing same needs to check his work closely.
    2-if 05-07 ulysses then remove the plastic front belt pulley cover (3 torx) and check the wiring bundles and specifically the #77 connector plug for any chafed/cracked/broken wires along with internal arcing and/or corrosion.
    3-a failing VR will typically continually pop the battery fuse.
    4-it's a rare occurrence but dirty/corroded/loose/frayed battery cables at either or both ends will cause a massive voltage surge and pop both the battery fuse as well as the ecm fuse though it's rare.
    My apologies on the year. It's a 2009.

To answer your first question, you are correct, never had this problem before. Yesterday was the first time I experienced the issue. Though when I get it back home I'll make sure to check the wires.

Update: so on the way home it blew a fuse in 4th gear at about 60. Another one in 3rd gear around 45. Then again accelerating on the on ramp, and then twice upon going into gear on the highway. Finally had to give in and have a trailer come get me. It was clear weather, so no rain to throw in the equation. This all happened in about a 20 mile stretch.

Sounds like a voltage regulator issue.
    I would not ride the bike until you get the issue resolved. Last thing you want is that bike cutting out in a curve.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by jreynolds View Post
    Update: so on the way home it blew a fuse in 4th gear at about 60. Another one in 3rd gear around 45. Then again accelerating on the on ramp, and then twice upon going into gear on the highway. Finally had to give in and have a trailer come get me. It was clear weather, so no rain to throw in the equation. This all happened in about a 20 mile stretch.
    no known electrical gremlins prior to "dealer" working on the bike.
    following work being performed it pops FIVE 30 amp fuses in a matter of 20 miles according to you.
    mentioned this 2X now: return it to the dealer. it's not coincidental that this failure coincides with bike in their possession.
    this is NOT rocket-science.......it's common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    no known electrical gremlins prior to "dealer" working on the bike.
    following work being performed it pops FIVE 30 amp fuses in a matter of 20 miles according to you.
    mentioned this 2X now: return it to the dealer. it's not coincidental that this failure coincides with bike in their possession.
    this is NOT rocket-science.......it's common sense.
    It's already known that 2008+ have problems with gas pump wires. they work inside the tank and get weak by corrosion.
    That's happen to me already twice in 60.000km. They circuit and melt the fuse.
    Need to remove the pump and remake the wires connections.

Remake them ? Out of what ? It happened to you twice.

Quote Originally Posted by rcf2 View Post
    It's already known that 2008+ have problems with gas pump wires. they work inside the tank and get weak by corrosion.
    That's happen to me already twice in 60.000km. They circuit and melt the fuse.
    Need to remove the pump and remake the wires connections.
    Rcf2 ,do you know what the hell you are talking about!! I am willing to bet NO!!

So I took the cover off today and inspected all the wires. Seemed to be ok. Didn't see anything frayed, connections all seemed good, so i moved up to the main ground amd noticed it was a bit dirty, so I disconnected those and cleaned them with electric cleaner and reattached them. Took it out for a test ride around my neighborhood with a half shell so i could hear the bike better, after riding around in 1st for a little (1/4 mile) I was going up a slight hill and could hear and barely feel the bike pulsing while maintaining light throttle and then it blew the fuse and died. It seemed to be doing the same thing when I put another fuse in and continued back to the house, didn't blow, but there was this up and down pulse under steady throttle, almost like it was losing power, but just enough that you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast