Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Shock Service/Re-build

Rear Shock Service/Re-build

Took rear shock to get serviced, yes it is a Showa and is serviceable, and it was completely out of Nitrogen and the oil was rancid. Explains why 2 up we were starting to bottom out and I was doing a lot of cranking on the pre-load. Pre-load was also getting low on oil. Since the shock is still re-buildable, the Dallas shop I took it to recommended rebuilding it with all Racetech parts, Gold Valve-piston, bladder, seals, bushings, bumpers, oil, etc... Cost of the labor is the same, just have to cover the parts. Not familiar with Racetech, but only hear and read that they are pretty good.

Wow. No one in my area would touch mine. I found a decent OEM replacement on eBay for $45. I took a big chance and it worked out. Could have gotten a dud.
    Can you give us some prices?
    Basic rebuild compared to yours?
    Definitely give us a report on the finished job.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 07-03-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Origninally I was just going to get a basic service, oil change and nitrogen charge plus pre-load adjuster oil change and bleed as well the entire shock would be taken apart and cleaned for $150.
    Here is a pic of my shock.
    CIMG9977.jpg
    To replace the seals, piston-valve, and bladder the labor would be the same just add cost of parts. For the Racetech parts it brought the total up to about $385. I believe this is less than the cost of a new one?
    Last edited by Tbone; 07-03-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Banned
    So it looks like it is cheaper to buy new shock absorber than to maintain this part.

Newcastle has them listed at $321.40 plus shipping. Sounds like for an extra $60 or so to get the Racetech treatment is a fair deal.

What was the name of the shop that did your rebuild and how was their turn around time?

Hey TPEHAK, to maintain the original stock shock would have been $150 and after 46K Miles it is due. With about %25 two up riding and the PO was 300lbs, I think it is worth it and cheaper to maintain than a new one. The Ulysses stock has pretty good handling and 2 up riding already.
    not1044 as far as the Race Tech upgrades, my ex motocross friends grin at me, so I take that as a good sign. Truth is we will know when it is loaded down with my wife's stuff and we jump on it and go as well as when I am turnin and burnin solo. The shop iss GGQuad.com, his name is Keith Smith and he just moved from Ft. Worth to Dallas. He is an enthusiast at touring and riding and so far understands what I am looking for in a shock.

Attachment 7934

Well I am the tortoise, finally got the shock installed and on the way to putting it back together. The comfort kit shroud is a PIA, hopefully will help with keeping the ECM, reservoir, under the seat cooler? Possibly cleaner, under the battery bracket was a lot of road grit, as well as a few washers, I guess that would be expected after 46K Miles. The shroud was never installed, the right side scoop, header guard, and seat vents where though. You have to remove the battery bracket, seat pan, luggage racks to install it, especially with the shock in. Not sure if it is possible to remove and install the shock with this shroud in or not? The installation instructions say to remove everything, so I did. I removed and installed the shock out of the top, not sure if you can drop it out of the bottom?

Well second day of riding on the rebuilt shock, is much better than the first day. Fresh rebuilt shock was much higher and the second day riding it is settling in and not as high. The ride is very nice, but very different. There is no rocking horse effect at all but the rear shock is very active. I used to be able to downshift to third as well as using the rear brake to lower the back of the bike if needed and dive into a corner and then accelerate thru and out of the corner. Well the rear end does not flinch, sag, or move at all, stable as a pier on a bridge. Increased stability and height on the rear makes the front feel like it is diving more. My initial thought is to increase spring tension on the fork pre-loads, but I am already at 4 turns, so hopefully the rear shock settles in more as I only have about 80 miles on it now.

Sounds like you need to have your front suspension upgraded to balance out the performance of the rear.
    Just a thought....
    Or take some preload out of the rear, or add preload to the front, to balance things out a little better.
    Make sure your write down your baseline settings for your suspension. If you start fiddling with both ends to try and balance things out you always want to be able to go back to where you started. Just in case all that fiddling makes matters worse

Thanks Chicknstripn, On the rear the pre-load is all the way off, none at all. I have the rebound at 1 1/8th, Compression at 1 1/4. Now that I have Racetech parts not sure the Buell manual settings apply the same.
    On the front I think adding pre-load is the way to go, If not possibly a lowered spring plate/ring on the rear shock?
    The ride is very nice, but as you know a nice ride and the joy of turning and burning on your Buell are 2 very different things. I want it all, riding too up with a ton of luggage and getting some curvature riding solo.

Last edited by Tbone; 08-29-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast