Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tachometer issue

tachometer issue

every once in a while, i will look down, and my tach says im going "0", when im rolling down the highway. I notice, that as i am slowing down, and down shifting, it usually catches back on when i go from 3 > 2 gear, and jumps to like 30ish; or whatever speed i am at.

What could be culprit to this issue?

Inactive
    would help immensely if you mentioned the year and model.
    check your 4-wire ground cluster front of bike. it traditionally is at the steering neck and is attached either with a #27 torx screw or attached to triple clamp tensioner bolt.
    also check for #35 historical fault code. it's related to the tach/speedo. you should also check your accessory, battery, and key switch fuses. all linked to the gauge cluster.

sorry bro, i have added it to my location in proflie lol. and thank you for the feedback!
    i will start with the fuses, and then check all the grounds around the neck.
    Bike has not thrown any codes while this has occured.

I had to replace my speed sensor for this issue. Extremely quick and easy fix. Take it out and see if there are any metal shavings or anything on it, you can try to wipe it clean and that might help temporarily. Its located on the belt side under/by the plastic cover for the crank. Cheap part, easy fix.

He said Tach, but describes Speedo?

I'd be curious to know if it's one, the other, or both? It would sure help diagnosis over the internet.

It sounds like he might be confused on which is which. I agree with you it would surely help with the diagnosis. From what I know the speed sensor failing isn't that uncommon. The tach issue is one I haven't heard much about.

threw in a new sensor, and issue has not happened yet so far, so hopefully that is the last of this.

To clarify, its the speedo sorry lol. My MPH would be at zero while moving down the road, and randomly jump up to my speed when i downshifted.

Glad to hear that it seems fixed so far.

How many miles on the bike? Mine speedo is jumping around as well. Gauge cluster grounds were clean with plenty of dielectric grease and no broken wires. I ordered a new speed sensor to try as well but haven't gotten it yet. I tried cleaning the speedo sensor (it did have some shavings on it) but that didn't work.

Inactive
    new speedo sensor should resolve your issue. cleaning the old sensor typically works 50% of the time. when it doesn't then a new sensor in order. guy that started this thread described speedo issues but said tach problem. that's why i mentioned the grounds, etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast