Thread: XB12SGC 07' oil leak question

XB12SGC 07' oil leak question

Hello I am about to buy a Buell bike. I have noticed that the bike I want to acquire leaks oil form rear cylinder cover and from the place that I present on the picture, is it push rod cover? What can be the reason for such leaks? Does it mean that the owner did not take care of it? How hard it will be to fix by by myself? And how hard is it today to buy the seals for this machines since Harley no longer supports them. Thank you for help! Best regards! 20170810_165134.jpg

Inactive
    1-those leaks typically heat-related in conjunction with a motor that has spent alot of time at or near red-line.
    2-an inoperative cooling fan or an ecm that has been dicked with and fan logic set to something stupid like minimal or no run-time
    3-a cooling fan saturated with rear cylinder oil that now refuses to operate and the motor runs ever hotter
    4-like most everything else extremely challenging to fix by yourself if you've never worked on an XB model buell. involves engine rotation, dismantling, parts replacement.....it's not for novices.
    5-James "top-end" gasket repair kit part # JGI-17049-07-X contains all you'd need and circumvents having to go thru the dealer pipeline. James top quality and complete kits.

The guy that just answered your question has a near perfect machine for sale. Do yourself a favor and just buy his.

John nailed it as always ^^^^^^^^, Can you tell us a little more about that bike, miles ?? price?? full pic? history? mods? etc...........................

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    The guy that just answered your question has a near perfect machine for sale. Do yourself a favor and just buy his.
    LOL wally. was thinking precisely the same thing but kept my big fat mouth shut.....which is always challenging.

Thanks guys for your quick response! I am very interested in taking a look at your bike! I dont know the location of most of the community on this forum! This might be a problem since I live in Sweden. I have a few bikes around to take a look at. There is the one with oil leaks - XB12SGC and XB12SS that is in mint condition low milage. Here are the adverts for both of them: https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Bue...2.htm?ca=2&w=3 - seems to be mint, I am in contact with the owner and I am waiting for more pics of the engine. And the one with leaks:https://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Buel...a=2&w=3&last=1 - previous owner took a good care of it but the one now really does not love this bike and it need some maintenance.
    Help me guys to make a good chice! And also I am wondering since I am 179cm tall will SGC be suitable? Or is it better to go for SS for better confort?20170810_164847.jpg
    Last edited by buellswe; 08-12-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Mistakes

Inactive
    the Scg model can easily be spotted by the short sidestand....the rear shock coil spring is yellow....the VIN deciphering.
    you're roughly 5 feet and 11 inches tall in US speak and you might be very cramped on an Scg model for any substantial distance. perhaps the Ss which is the "long" version might ergonomically have more appeal to you. only you will know that.

Ss ftw imho lol