Thread: XB9SL general knowledge questions

XB9SL general knowledge questions

In 2003, I owned a 2003 XB9SL. I just bought a 2003 XB9SL at auction and there are some items that seem odd.
    The exhaust has a double outlet from the muffler. My first 9SL had a single exhaust pipe off the muffler. Could this be a muffler from a 12? Is there a real difference? ( I assume there is) because I seem to have a back pressure issue. Lastly, this girl has frame sliders and L&R air scoops at the front cylinder. I know my original bike did not have these items. Were these late 2003 model options or just previous owner add-on's? Any ideas or info will help.

The dual outlet exhaust could be a Buell race pipe, or a Drummer, pics would be nice.
    What does "Back pressure issue" mean? If it's running funny I'd suggest a Buelltooth.com dongle and a free ECMDroid program on your android device to help diagnose it. AZMidget on here also makes the dongles as well.
    The Larger Right Side Scoop (RSS) is an add on to help is stay cool. Probably a Buell "comfort kit".

I definitely spoke too soon about "back pressure" as I haven't even wiped the storage grime off the girl. I need to do general tune-up items and repair broken items, before I start trying to diagnose weird engine noises.

Before anyone says anything, yes it's been down and no, it wasn't me. I found this at auction and got a screaming deal on it. I'm happy to have a project. I'll get her right.

I hope these pics upload correctly. Like I said, I had this exact year make and model, but at the time I didn't want a project and I had enough money that I let the local Harley dealership do all the maintenance. So I am not familiar with different options available back in the day and I will be scouring all of your posts to see what gems I can find. Any info you can offer is appreciated. Thanks to you all! (Oh, and I'll be buying a dongle )

IMG_2141.JPG.jpgIMG_2140.JPG.jpgIMG_2142.JPG.jpg2004-07-25 841.jpg

Same Muffler Question

I'm posting one more pic in hopes that someone will recognize this muffler. It doesn't seem to have any identifying marks. IMG_2155.jpg
    I'll be shopping here for a stock unit too.

Does it look like this muffler?
    http://hawkperformancemufflers.com/BUELL-XB-MOD.php

Looks like a Hawk exhaust. A bit of weld splatter all over the back end. Could be a home made exhaust mod. But willing to say Hawk.
    Last edited by rchuff; 08-10-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyXB View Post
    Yes sir! Thanks very much it looks exactly like that. Weld splatter for sure. It's REALLY LOUD. Do you like it? I haven't had a chance to see how it's mapped or anything else yet. Needs some love.

Sorry - I don't have the Hawk exhaust.