Thread: integrated tail light install/wiring question need help

integrated tail light install/wiring question need help

I've seen a few semi related threads but nothing that can really help me pinpoint what is going on. The solution may be staring me in the face and i've just spent too much time thinking about it..but here goes. (apologies for the long post..)

I installed some new front turn signals, the ones from NewRage. They are 360 degree LED signals. Here is the link...
    https://www.newragecycles.com/Rage36...p/rage-360.htm

I got the running light module, but not the load equalizer.
    Installed them, they work fine- i tapped into the running light from the headlight harness. They blink fast, but work fine.

____

I then wanted to replace my rear tail to chop it shorter so i opted for the all-in-one brake/turn signal LED found here:
    https://www.nicecycle.com/Buell-Fire...tl-0052-it.htm

I removed everything from the tail, unplugged all the wires etc.
    The kit came with resistors, but at first i didnt install them, since they said it 'should' function without them.
    Installed the brake light wires which just plug into the stock housing and connectors- nothing much to see there. That works fine.

The turn signals are the place where im having issues. This all-in-one light only has 2 yellow positive wires, no grounds. So the female ground on the bike stays open since there is nothing to plug into.

I purchased an EP6 flasher relay from Amazon here:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since i read that installing that might take care of all of my issues.

Here are the 2 options i tried so far:

1) Flasher relay - no resistors
    I swapped out the stock old flasher relay and put in the new ep36.
    For the rear Brake light, I had the brake light connected (all 3 connectors)
    For the rear turn signals, i had just the two positive Yellow wires connected to the positive tail light turn wires. No negative wires hooked up yet & no resistors. As you know there are 2 positive bike wires, red/white and brown.
    Also i DONT have the license plate light hooked up since there is no longer a spot for that currently, so those are open end connections right now but that shouldnt matter?

Result:
    Both turn signals do not work when tried, and buzzing noise happens when i try left and right turn signal. Brake light works as normal. Seems like the flasher relay did nothing?

2) Flasher relay + resistors
    I keep the ep36 flasher installed
    I now install the resistors. One end of resistor goes into the negative bike end, the other end of the resistor gets spliced into the positive yellow wire from turn signal/brake light ( i didnt splice into the positive bike wire just in case it didnt work- i didnt want to mess up stock bike wires). I do this for each turn signal.

Result:
    right turn signal works (flashes quick but still works) and stays off when not in use.
    Left signal makes buzzing noise and does not work or flash

I then swap the positive turn signal wires only (the yellow ones) to see if that makes a difference.

Result:
    Left turn signal light stays on constant (while brake running light is also on- so its a split amber/red light)
    Right turn signal is off but turns on when i turn it on but does not flash, just stays on constant.

So, im not sure what the issue is here. Is there something wrong with the way i wired it up? Or maybe the bike wires? It seems like just the left signal is having an issue but im not sure. I thought the LED relay would do the trick but it doesnt seem to even slow the flashing rate.

I also noticed that the left resistor (the turn signal that seems to have issues) gets very hot. The right one is warm, but not as hot as the left one.

Any help here? Thanks Buellers

Your leds should flash at a normal rate with the flasher relay. I have one on my bike and it works without resistors.
    Does the rear taillight have at least one ground wire? If it doesn't then it's faulty and you need to contact the company that you got it from.
    First thing I would do is make sure you have the correct flasher relay. Make sure it's the one made for FOUR components.
    Second get rid of the resistors.
    Third check that the front signals are wired correctly.
    Last, make sure all the ground wires(from the bike brake light and signal wiring) are connected to the one ground from the aftermarket taillight. Hook up the signal wires to the corresponding left right signal.
    If this doesn't work then your issue is beyond my expertise.
    The above is how I did my aftermarket light set up and I've had zero issues.

Thanks. My initial thought was that it should work fine with the relay. The one i got from amazon listed above was 'recommended' for this setup so that's what i went with.
    As far as the tail light itself, it has a ground wire that terminates into a plug end, which mimics what the stock tail light bulb has. So they made it so that you can just plug that into the existing socket. But the turn signals need to be spliced.
    I'll have to double check the front turn signals- I know they are plugged into the stock turn signal female ends on the bike. Im wondering could that have an effect on the rear turn signals?

I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Wire them how their instructions say, and then do this:

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...ED-flasher-mod

You won't need the resistors.

Quick update...

So That amazon ep36 flasher came and i thought it looked a bit odd..check out the pic..

No labeling, info etc. Doesnt even look like any of the pics for that type of flasher relay. I told Amazon about this several times already. I went to PepBoys on my way home and bought another ep36- this one had all the right labeling. Installed it, worked like a charm, no resistors.

One issue though...

So the right side rear turn signal works fine. This is connected to the Brown positive wire from the bike. The left side, when plugged in, stays on constant again, even before trying the turn signal switch. Afterword, it doesnt blink at all. This is the orange/white wire.

I switched the positive yellow wires from the light, and the same thing happened. This time the right side signal stayed on constant.

I realized that the previous owner did that headlight mod- the one where you swap the yellow and orange/white wires in the harness behind the flyscreen. This mod makes it so that when you flip the second headlight, the both stay on. I'm not sure if this is the root cause, since that light isnt 'on' unless i switch it on.

But i did notice that the running light wire colors (orange/white) appear throughout the rest of the bike, including the left rear turn signal positive wire. Does anyone know if that color wire denotes some kind of 'always on' state? This would explain why the left side when plugged in is constantly on, while the right side (brown wire) acts as it's supposed to.

Thanks

www.buellmods.com
    Download a service manual and look up your wiring diagram in the service manual. If I remember correctly signal wires are brown and purple. I'm fairly certain you have a blinker hooked up to a constant power wire, like license plate light or something. But check the service manual to be 100% certain

Orange/white is an ignition powered wire (running lights) that why it's on all the time. The headlight mod simply powers the low beam with the running light source so it isn't switched off (yellow wire) when the high beam is selected.

None of that should affect the tail light at all. Signals are brown and purple, tail light is still orange/white and stop is red (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Orange/white is an ignition powered wire (running lights) that why it's on all the time. The headlight mod simply powers the low beam with the running light source so it isn't switched off (yellow wire) when the high beam is selected.

None of that should affect the tail light at all. Signals are brown and purple, tail light is still orange/white and stop is red (I think)

So i think you might be right. i looked over the manual diagram and it has the orange/white wire going to the brake light- im assuming thats constant for keeping the tail light on.
    The left turn signal power wire is purple in the diagram.
    It does not say however what color the license plate power wire is, or at least i cant find it. Im assuming it would be orange/white (which would be the wire in question).

Ill try to hook up the turn signal to the purple wire and see if that works. Thanks guys

That should do it