Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Catch Can V2.0

So, you use a video referencing the engineering advantages of using a catch can, but don't use it properly?

Banned
    It will work properly. There is no advantage of routing it back in the airbox except you want to utilize airbox filter instead of using dedicated air filter to vent the hoses. Especially I use K&N airbox air filter with very low airflow resistance.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-17-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Incorrect. Did you watch the video you posted? Negative pressure in the intake helps draw more vapors from the crankcase. There is no purpose to having the filter, unless you have negative pressure in the case, for instance a high performance dry sump that the oil pumps are powerful enough to create that pressure, which our Buells don't have the kind of power. The stock setup isn't in the airbox for the filter, it is in there for the negative pressure.

What's wrong with just a 3/8" oil resistant hose for less than $1?

Make a low point or a loop and the oil vapor will coalesce back into a liquid and make a really effective filter (if you're young, Google oil bath air cleaners) for when the hot crankcase is cooling and drawing fresh air.

Having an open end will let you know immediatly if there's a problem. I'm not worried about a couple drops of oil on the ground. It's where it came from 6.3 million years ago

I have a '07 Duramax. Still has an open 'road draft tube' (with no filter) from the crankcase that gets its negative pressure from the vehicle moving forward. This ain't rocket science, people.

All that said. I appreciate a discussion on theory, there is nothing wrong with TPHAKs idea, and nothing wrong with a short length of 3/8" hose. To each there own.

Party on Garth.
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-17-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Banned
    There is almost no pressure difference between inside and outside walls of the K&N air filter because of it has very low airflow resistance. You can imagine there is no airfilter chamber, so now hoses connected to the open air, right? The hoses connected to the internal chamber under air filter where pressure difference is minimal. It does not assist with sucking wapor from hose, it just helps capturing wapor inside airfilter and sucking it in the intake to burn it and prevent pollution. With same result you can route hoses outside, but wapor will go out in this case. If you put catch can in vent line moisture and condensed wapor will be trapped in the catch can so you do not need to put hose inside the intake, except you want completely burn the rest of the moisture passed catch can.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-17-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    There is almost no pressure difference between inside and outside walls of the K&N air filter because of it has very low airflow resistance. You can imagine there is no airfilter chamber, so now hoses connected to the open air, right? The hoses connected to the internal chamber under air filter where pressure difference is minimal. It does not assist with sucking wapor from hose, it just helps capturing wapor inside airfilter and sucking it in the intake to burn it and prevent pollution. With same result you can route hoses outside, but wapor will go out in this case. If you put catch can in vent line moisture and condensed wapor will be trapped in the catch can so you do not need to put hose inside the intake, except you want completely burn the rest of the moisture passed catch can.
    So, it doesn't help with "sucking", but it helps with "sucking". I believe the scientific name for "sucking" is negative pressure.

Banned
    The pressure difference between the spot where hose outlet located and outside the airbox is very small, almost no difference. But it sucks air with aerated wapor from whole air filter chamber into the intake due to mechanical air move due to pressure difference inside intake and outside area which is internal chamber of the air filter. But like I said there is almost no pressure difference between outside air filter and the PCV hose outlet spot.

Air movement is cause by pressure differences.

Why are you fighting this? All I said was that the pcv system would work better routed in the Air box. If your catch can actually works, which it won't without a coalescing filter in it, you wouldn't get any oil in your intake.

Banned
    It will work the same, I do not think it will work better. If there is no reason to stick PCV hoses in the airbox I prefer to keep it out so I do not need to struggle with those hoses when I need to remove airbox baseplate. I do not care too much how good this catch can will trap the moisture. I believe it will work good enough to not produce too much resistance in the hoses and to not spray moisture through the vent.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-17-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Banned
    Actually this catch can with went hole on the back side will probably generate significant pressure difference due to venturi effect while cruising over 25 mph. So if negative pressure is something good for this application here is another benefit of this design.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-17-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast