Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xb9sx runs rough after fill up

xb9sx runs rough after fill up

Hello all,
    I have searched for this and it seems over filling the gas tank can cause some running issues.

Twice, soon after getting gas the bike has started stumbling and cutting in and out-like riding a bull sometimes.

The first time this happened, I cleared the codes to start fresh with my buelltooth(I bought the bike used 2 weeks ago).

The second time, this morning, I got gas, filled to just below the opening while on the side stand. I went on my way and about 4 miles in it started running rough.

I made it work, let it idle for a while, stopped it, started it and eventually it idled and rode normal for about a mile. I checked the codes using the jumper method and if I am reading correctly it shows code 11 and 13.

My question is, could a blocked vent tube make the bike throw engine codes? I should mention yesterday it ran great for 30 miles, then the fuel light came on, hence getting gas this morning.
    Thank you for any advice.
    Last edited by mpaternoster; 08-17-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Same gas station on both fill-ups?

Some general troubleshooting techniques:
    Try filling up at a different station.
    Try filling up just a gallons and see if the issue persists.

Doesn't hurt to check the vent tube, push some air through it to make sure there are no blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mpaternoster View Post
    Hello all,
    I have searched for this and it seems over filling the gas tank can cause some running issues.

Twice, soon after getting gas the bike has started stumbling and cutting in and out-like riding a bull sometimes.

The first time this happened, I cleared the codes to start fresh with my buelltooth(I bought the bike used 2 weeks ago).

The second time, this morning, I got gas, filled to just below the opening while on the side stand. I went on my way and about 4 miles in it started running rough.

I made it work, let it idle for a while, stopped it, started it and eventually it idled and rode normal for about a mile. I checked the codes using the jumper method and if I am reading correctly it shows code 11 and 13.

My question is, could a blocked vent tube make the bike throw engine codes? I should mention yesterday it ran great for 30 miles, then the fuel light came on, hence getting gas this morning.

Thank you for any advice.
    Code 11 is Throttle Position Sensor Circuit High

Code 13 is Rear Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low/Engine Lean
    Last edited by Silverrider; 08-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Inactive
    to expound on what spymac said which is great info....remove fuel line from frame vent and see if it's clear. do NOT blow thru the line when connected to frame vent as you'll destroy the vent.
    check to see that the frame vent assembly is actually working.
    remove your fuel cap and check the self-contained vent. it must work to vent the frame/tank
    have seen fault code #13 on several occasions following a fuel fill-up and logically could never determine why. but when your O2 sensor is on the way to death-row the symptoms you described including the fault code happen.
    classic example is you fill up....run a few miles...bike will NOT respond to throttle inputs....you pull off the side of road....shut down....wait a few minutes....fire back up and it's normal again for several miles....sometimes till next fill up.
    NOTE: for the hell of it carefully check both battery cable connections at their terminals for cleanliness and tightness. one or both loose causes anomalies.
    i'd strongly suggest replacing the O2 sensor as it sounds lazy.
    here's what crosses over:
    More O2 sensors:

-GM OEM= 25162693
    -NTK= 21002
    -Airtex= 553071
    -Bosch= 12014(wire a tad shorter than stock)
    -Denso= 234-1001
    -Walker= 250-21001
    -SNG= SN1-15
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-17-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Rode home today from work, all was normal. Topped off the tank and rode a few more miles, all good as well. Being home, I plugged in m buelltooth and saw the codes above. I am running the stock tune with a K&N air filter and the race exhaust. Would that cause any issues like I have seen? Edit- I have no idea what ECM map I have because I just loaded the race map and it still says stock in ECMDroid.

Gas is all from the same station.

I had originally thought the battery was the issue. I charged that to full and checked all the connections and they looked ok.

EDIT2
    Now it threw Code 33 while idling in the driveway, but drove fine for the test ride
    Last edited by mpaternoster; 08-18-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Inactive
    EDIT2
    Now it threw Code 33 while idling in the driveway, but drove fine for the test ride

that pretty much narrowed it down for you right there. pump on the way out OR chafed wires.
    you never mentioned the year of your XB but 03-07 pumps had a propensity for the internal wires to rub against the bracket and short. typically pops the pump fuse....sometimes throws fault code 33. i'd still consider a new O2 sensor when you get time but sounds like you'll be googling "buell xb fuel pump replacement" and in all likelihood replacing same.
    there are multiple threads on this site that not only walk you thru the replacement procedure as does the SM....but also threads on reasonably priced factory pump alternatives.

Bike is a 2005. Previous owner says he never had a CEL, which I find hard to believe. I will do some research on the chafed wires topic. Thanks for your help on this. All fuses look good, I checked the vent hose and air does pass through to the tank.

Inactive
    yes sir always my pleasure. if you google the below it will walk you thru O2 sensor replacement as well as tons of fuel pump info. both can be done of course without disturbing engine placement which means no "engine rotation" required. google:

buell xb O2 sensor replacement
    buell xb fuel pump substitution
    buell xb fuel pump replacement

I am sure John has your issue correct, Have you checked your connections at the pump ? It would nice if they just need cleaning, just a thought.

I have not checked any connections yet. Fuel pump behaves normally as far as I can tell.

It cycles on when I turn the key, shuts off after a few seconds. Then it runs after bike starts. Bike has always started easily so far, even when in the skip spark mode.

I got this bike 2 weeks ago and wasn't expecting all these issues yet. I will try to see what connections I need to check.

Last edited by mpaternoster; 08-18-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast