Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: xb9sx runs rough after fill up

Welcome to owning a Buell, once you get the bugs out you will have learned a lot and have a dependable ride.

I hope so, I got this to possibly replace my bandit and be more reliable than my MZ Skorpion.

Still hoping is just bad gas still in the tank from the previous owner, but with running a full tank through it already I'm not optimistic

Have you tried running any fuel injector cleaner ? Tips could be a little clogged, berryman chemtool, I always run it in the tank on all my bikes, just to make sure things are clean and then once a year.

OK,
    I reset the TPS suggested by a fiend that has a few of these.

I followed the instruction in the video. While warm, I adjusted the idle to 1050ish, TPS is at 5.1. It was idling fine, no CEL. I went to go around the corner and as I clicked into gear, the CEL came on and started running rough.

The code now is 11, TPS too low/short. I clear the code, start the bike, idles fine for a bit then the CEL and error code 11. This has happened 3 times in a row.

Also, when looking at ECMdroid, the TPS on live data screen is stuck at 12.5, it does not change, though it shows the idle changing.

Any ideas on where to look next?

Check the wiring to your TPS sensor. I believe the code is telling you there's a short in that system or from what you stated the TPS sensor is not responding.
    If the TPS signal shows no change in ECMspy while turning the throttle then there is your problem.
    Good luck

Inactive
    a long ago post addressing what might have happened to you via bluetooth/ecmdroid.
    here:

The ECMDroid TPS Reset took me awhile to figure out. Reading on the forums I got confused and thought the channel called "TPS Voltage" was what I needed to look at for throttle plate adjustment. However, that channel read 1.19v no matter what I did with the idle screw. Twisting the throttle open increased it, IIRC, to something like 3.8v at wide open. It finally dawned on me this was the wrong channel.

Looking around, I found a different channel called "TPD" which seemed to be what is needed to reset the plate angle correctly after a TPS reset on my '03 XB9S.

Here's how I did it:

1-With key and kill button switched on, bit motor not running, connect to ECM Droid.
    2-Find the Data Channel screen and select TPD Channel and RPM Channel.
    3-Toggle the "Live Data On" button.
    4-Back out the idle screw until the TPD channel readout drops to 0º, then back it out 2 more turns.
    5-Change screens to the one with a "TPS Reset" button, and hit TPS Reset. Once it indicates TPS Reset was done successfully, hit OK.
    6-Go back to the Data Channels window.
    7-Turn the idle screw clockwise until it shows 5.5º to 6º in the TPD channel.
    8-Start the bike. Adjust the idle screw until you get your desired idle speed (via the Data Channel not your tach).

I believe I did this all correctly. Please correct me if I got any of this wrong!

The procedure above is exact how I did it and it was idling great. As soon as I clicked into gear, CEL came on and now the live data from the bueltooth shows TPD stuck on 12.5 and voltage 0.0

Inactive
    then i'd suggest not only following the advice of carlos but also: tps screws loose? there are 2. TPS sensor faulty

06 and later different unit. the rotater that houses the shaft blade configured differently.
    yours will be: Autozone Duralast TPS213
    about $50 less than dealer part # retail pricing.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-23-2017 at 01:07 AM.

TPS screws are good, I was about to check the manual for how to test the TPS. I took the battery out, finally managed to unplug the ECM that didnt want to unplug, and reseated. The TPS is now active in ECMDroid. Good news is the bike idles and the TPS updates. Not sure how long that will last.

lunaticfringe, thank you for the part number. I will pick up when this acts up again.
    Last edited by mpaternoster; 08-23-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaternoster View Post
    TPS screws are good, I was about to check the manual for how to test the TPS. I took the battery out, finally managed to unplug the ECM that didnt want to unplug, and reseated. The TPS is now active in ECMDroid. Good news is the bike idles and the TPS updates. Not sure how long that will last.

lunaticfringe, thank you for the part number. I will pick up when this acts up again.
    you're quite welcome and always my pleasure. the duralast # i gave you is for 2003-2005 inclusive all XB 9 and 12 models. the 2006 and later is a different rotater portion. they're easy to install if you take on the job. just be damn sure to use a quality EXACT #27 torx when removing the 4 air box base plate screws as they're factory installed with red loctite. also important is to properly reconnect the TB to airbox large rubber boot. if not properly installed and reconnected AND seated on the TB the bike runs horribly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast