Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing beginner question

Embarrassing beginner question

I've contemplated posting this for a bit because I'm a bit embarrassed to say. I'm nervous about opening the throttle too much. This is my first year riding and started off on a Cb500 for a couple months before moving to this bike. I've also read it's easy to wheelie on a Buell so im apprehensive about going too hard.

So my question is this, how do I get myself more comfortable with the power? I've noticed under normal circumstances I'm already getting to the speed limit faster than the rest of traffic and always ahead of the pack.

But I feel like there are times when I could go harder on the throttle but I hesitate because I'm scared of the power... What do I do if I feel the front wheel coming up? Will it be noticeable right away? The same questions for losing traction on the rear wheel. I'm not interested in racing, I want to improve my riding skill. Just to add I don't think I've gone past halfway on the throttle yet, about 2k city km I've put on it so far.

Thanks in advance guys!

Good question Tankster, Not to worry ,you have clocked up 2K , you should feel comfortable with your bike and controls, a XB is not going to fly up unexpected or do a burn out unless you want it to and you would have to work at it. Just each time you ride just give it a little more RPMs in the higher gears on strait roads you will feel more comfortable each time. Just remember there is a time and place for every thing, pick the right place to play and have safe fun. This is not really me 40 years ago , or is it HMMM

002.jpg wheel up02.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 08-19-2017 at 03:46 PM.

To get a feel for how the bike accelerates, find a deserted stretch of straight road with good, clean pavement. You won't spin the rear wheel or wheelie if you're in second gear and roll the throttle on from about 20 miles an hour. Remember to keep the front wheel straight and leaning forward a little will help to keep the front wheel down. Make sucessive runs to get the feel of it and as your confidence builds you can wind it out faster and further and accelerate hard thru third gear. If you feel the front end come up, don't freak-just keep it straight and roll off the throttle rather than whacking it shut. Use moderate throttle until you're rolling when in first gear. Keep in mind that in first you're more likely to spin the rear tire or lift the front wheel, two things you do not want to do while leaned over.
    Acceleration is a big part of the fun of motorcycling and these bikes satisfy with some HARD acceleration so I hope you build your confidence to experience it!

Welcome, Tankster! Glad you are asking the question...and good advice from both Silverrider and mosquito. I've been riding off and on for 30 years, but my XB12Ss was my first bike with that much displacement and that much torque, so I was also a bit nervous about it when I first bought it. As with many things when learning on a motorcycle, a large empty parking lot is your friend. Spend some time there playing with the throttle, clutch, and brakes doing successively harder accelerations and decelerations to get a feel for it. Doing low speed figure 8's and such can also help give you a feel for the sensitivity of the clutch and throttle. And, of course, have fun!

So long as you're not doing clutch ups that bike will not bring the front tire up, unless it has some serious work done to the engine. If the RPMs are around 2.5-3k and you pop the clutch the front could come up on you but letting the clutch out smoothly will make sure things are fine.

First off I applaud you for asking such a question, no need to be embarrassed whatsoever! Unlike most of the assholes that purchase motorcycles and act like they know everything, those are the guys that wind up in the emergency room getting the wire brush to their skin to get the rocks out cause they went down showing off. You by all means are doing the right thing by asking such a question and showing that you already have self control. No the bike will not lift it's front wheel off the ground by riding it casually, now let's get to the rear wheel you are worried about breaking loose, again the rear wheel will not break loose by riding casually either but you need to have your tire pressure set. I ride aggressively and run 33 up front and 30 in the rear on the street, track 31 and 27 most days depending on weather. Tire pressure is brutally important and almost ALWAYS over looked by most street riders. To much pressure and you mine as well be riding on plywood tires. Once you finally get comfortable on your machine sign up for a track day and I PROMISE you that will learn more in one day on the track than most guys learn in a lifetime being ignorant street riders!!!! Don't fear the track you will go out at a controlled pace behind an instructor, you will not be anywhere near race lap times. Enjoy yourself and wear your gear it will most likely save your life of you have a get off.

Hey WickedChop, Great points to bring up especially track & tire pressures. +1

^^^^^ thanks silver.........something else I forgot, there is a book called "a twist of the wrist" written by Keith Code. READ IT!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    ^^^^^ thanks silver.........something else I forgot, there is a book called "a twist of the wrist" written by Keith Code. READ IT!!!!!!!
    You can you tube it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjL_BO4fPpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr776Wan6Rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iJlPeoFDNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcMp7wuVKhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gInKcWdmUVY
    Last edited by Silverrider; 08-20-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Holy crap thanks everyone!! I just got back from a two hour ride trying to get more acquainted. At some point I'd like to look as badass as the pics above but I'll take my time I took as much advice as possible and I don't think I made much progress today but one step at a time.

I always keep the gauge handy but the manual said 34 psi in the front and 36 in the back. I won't do any damage running them a bit lower? Thanks for the YouTube links too! I know what I'm watching over dinner tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast