Thread: 2008 xb9sx surging

2008 xb9sx surging

I just picked up an 08 xb9sx. Rode well for my first ride. Took it out later and it started surging while in gear, 1st and 2nd especially. Once I was in third it wasn't bad. Not too sure what is causing it so I was going to go ahead and do the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and a few other small items. Has anyone dealt with the same issue? Thanks

This is what I would check:
    Fluids, primary and engine oil
    Electrical connections, especially at the battery terminals, subframe and frame grounds.
    Primary chain, insure it is adjusted correctly
    Insure clutch is adjusted properly
    After that I would start looking into if there are any codes historic or new stores in the ECM
    Go to www.buellmods.com for a service manual to help you out
    Also start looking into obtaining some software, ECMspy or ECMdriod, to help with reading ECM codes and resetting TPS and what not.
    Good luck

Update: realized once the bike is warm (10-15min) of riding, the surging is far worse in about every gear. Any other thoughts?

I would still check everything that I mentioned and add to that replacing your O2 sensor.
    Also start researching how to test if your head temp sensor is on it's way out.
    BTW Have you done anything to try and diagnose your running issue, since your original post, besides riding the bike?

Since you first mentioned that you recently purchased the bike, I would suggest contacting the previous owner and asking him some questions. Would be good to know if the PO has had similar issues in the past or if the previous owner has replacing any parts recently.
    Good luck!