Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 XB12Ss ignition/starter

2007 XB12Ss ignition/starter

I have a 2007 xb12ss and I have no clue what is going on with it.

I was driving down the freeway at about 70 when all of a sudden the engine completely shut off. Scared the crap out of me. On my way to the shoulder I tried hitting the ignition and kill switch to no avail. It wouldn't push start either. I got it in a truck and back to my house.

Right now, if I turn the key, the bike turns on normally. The problem now arises with the kill switch. When I turn off the kill switch it won't start the fuel pump priming and the check engine light doesn't come on either like it usually does with the start up sequence. All the fuses are good. I replaced the relays under the seat. Sometimes if I shuffle the relays into different slots and then hit the kill switch everything fires up like normal and it has no problem turning over. But then if I turn off the bike and turn it back on, I'm back to the beginning and have to shuffle them again until some combination works and it fires up again.

Where do I start?
    Last edited by XbTurtle; 08-29-2017 at 08:29 PM.

1) Have your battery tested. Buell's do not like old or nearly dead batteries.
    2) Insure that all your grounds and battery connections are clean and tight.
    3) check fuses
    4) Have a good look at your wiring, leave nothing uninspected, to insure there is no chaffing or what not causing a short.
    5) I would replace all your relays. If you can pin point which is the one that's giving you issues then replace that one but since you've already mixed em all up, and they're fairly cheap, Id just put all new ones in there.
    6) If the fuell pump is not priming normally you might want to look into pulling it to check the wiring for said fuel pump that lives inside your fuel tank

Go to www.buellmods.com and download a service manual for your bike. That should help you out while you try to locate the source of your issue.

Good luck

If I had to guess, I would check the red kill switch for continuity. They get corroded up there on the bars. I bet if you get it running and wiggle that switch, the bike dies.

Easy to clean or replace.

Inactive
    you had a faulty key switch relay and shuffled it about until you hit the right combination.
    also do what carlos and shaughn suggested. spray something like kano kroil....NOT wd-40 down the barrel of the ignition switch as well as into the right switchgear housing trying to lube up the red run switch.
    get it running again....turn it off...check the 3 relay temps. if 1 or more feels very warm to the touch you have a faulty connection between the female lugs and the male relay lugs. they must be cleaned to look like new. dirty/corroded female lugs cause the relays to heat up to the point of failure.
    get it running and wiggle the key in the ignition switch. if lights flicker and motor shuts off it's a switch assembly headed to death row.

So I've narrowed it down to the female key switch relay being a bitch.

How do you clean them out?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by XbTurtle View Post
    So I've narrowed it down to the female key switch relay being a bitch.

How do you clean them out?
    i'm assuming you're referring to the female plugs that accept each of the 3 relays. if one set of plugs is problematic the other 2 sets soon to follow so i'd remove all 3 relays and do all at the same time as follows:
    a top quality cleaner/penetrant/lube such as kano kroil or even PB blaster better than nothing. spray liberally...use a small hand held wire brush about the size of a tooth brush...scrub....blow out with compressed air....repeat. make damn sure the male ends of each relay are pristine. that's how i clean them. and in the future never wash under the seat area on your lightning. that is what affects the electrical connections and components found under there.

I might just have this wrong in my head but I'll just get everything out that I know so far and you can tell me if I'm right or completely off.

So I have new male relays. The connection in the female portion for the key switch relay is being touchy and will only work if the male relay is in a certain position. The ends of the male relays are perfect. So the connection issue would be arising in the female slots in the actual fuse/relay housing.

Is there a way to clean/replace the female portion of the relays?

Of course! Let me help you. I would use:

"a top quality cleaner/penetrant/lube such as kano kroil or even PB blaster better than nothing. spray liberally...use a small hand held wire brush about the size of a tooth brush...scrub....blow out with compressed air....repeat. make damn sure the male ends of each relay are pristine. that's how i clean them. and in the future never wash under the seat area on your lightning. that is what affects the electrical connections and components found under there."

I give fantastic advise don't I??

If you don't like that advise, CRC makes a aerosol electrical terminal cleaner that works ok. and you can replace those terminals with new ones but it's a huge PITA.
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-31-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Okay thank you.

I just wanted to make sure that method was for the female connector. The way it was phrased made it sound like it was for cleaning the male end of the relays. I didn't want to go spraying cleaner into some electrical components on my bike and breaking them if I did it wrong.

And yes, I may be a novice when it comes to working in bikes, but at least I'm trying to learn. I come here because there are a lot of people with much more knowledge than I will ever be able to acquire. But when you say something like lunaticfringe, it humiliates newer people such as myself even though we are just double checking. And frankly, it makes you sound like a condescending jerk. Thank you for helping me.

Have a good day.

The simple answer is that you'll be ok spraying into the terminal block (the part that holds the relays). Theres only those terminals and insulated wires in there. No need to flood it.

The complicated answer is (as a self described noob), you will have to put up with not understanding the clear, concise, information you are given, because it is you that doesn't understand it. It's ok to be confused and ignorant because you're just starting out. I've been doing this since 'old' was brand new, and I'm still schooled by more experienced people than me.

Whatever you do, I find it very poor form to lash out with your frustration to someone who is trying to help you for the total cost of free when no one owes you a G0DD@MN THING!

Life lesson:
    Get your head on straight, ask politely, and most people are willing to help a stranger. Be a D[ck, and see what happens then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast