Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 XB12Ss ignition/starter

I am not trying to understand it all, just reassure that what I do know is correct. Both of you provided me with that information and reassured that what I understood was correct which I thanked you for. I am just learning and I hope to still be learning for years to come just as you are.

I however did not "lash out". I was simply trying to say to him that I find it very poor form to make such a condescending remark to someone who is just starting out. I know that no one owes me anything in life but I would hope that if I ever needed help there would be people to support me. If anyone ever needed my help I would provide any assistance I could in a heartbeat.

Life lesson:
    Try to see things from other people's perspective and don't make assumptions on their situation. Not everyone is an internet troll looking to be a keyboard warrior. Most people are polite and would prefer not to have remarks and assumptions made about them.

Thank you again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by XbTurtle View Post
    Life lesson:
    Try to see things from other people's perspective and don't make assumptions on their situation. Not everyone is an internet troll looking to be a keyboard warrior. Most people are polite and would prefer not to have remarks and assumptions made about them.

Exactly. Thank you for understanding my point about you. You'll get much farther remembering that.

Good luck, I hope you get your bike fixed soon

Inactive
    Okay thank you.

I just wanted to make sure that method was for the female connector. The way it was phrased made it sound like it was for cleaning the male end of the relays. I didn't want to go spraying cleaner into some electrical components on my bike and breaking them if I did it wrong.

And yes, I may be a novice when it comes to working in bikes, but at least I'm trying to learn. I come here because there are a lot of people with much more knowledge than I will ever be able to acquire. But when you say something like lunaticfringe, it humiliates newer people such as myself even though we are just double checking. And frankly, it makes you sound like a condescending jerk. Thank you for helping me.

Have a good day.
    just caught this and even by board standards i'm shocked. read and re-read my posts to you. you had an electrical problem. i correctly diagnosed same and gave you simple step-by-step procedures to trouble-shoot same, confirm my diagnosis, and even remedy/repair the suspect culprits. how in the hell anything i said or any info i provided could be even remotely construed as condescending or humiliating absolutely escapes me. the divisiveness, thin-skinned exterior surfaces and confrontational attitudes some of you FNG's bring to this board escapes all logic or understanding. God Almighty!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    how in the hell anything i said or any info i provided could be even remotely construed as condescending or humiliating absolutely escapes me. the divisiveness, thin-skinned exterior surfaces and confrontational attitudes some of you FNG's bring to this board escapes all logic or understanding.
    The exact post sadly has been taken down. I believe everyone has a right to say what they want and I respect what you said. It was your direct reply to Cooter and more indirect reply to myself that is the post in question. I do not want a confrontation I just want information which you gave me plenty of and I am very greatful for that. Your reply was to the post where Cooter simply took your information and directly posted it again. This would have been fine ending it there because it got the point across and made me realize I was at a misunderstanding with the first time you posted it. Your reply may not have had bad intentions at first and I'm sure it actually was completely innocent on your part when you submitted it. However when you said that the information was in such simple term that even a novice could understand them, you were in a sense mocking my lack of ability to understand it. I know this wasn't your intention but it is how it came across.

As I said early I do not want to argue. It is the last thing on my mind. What I do want is to get my bike fixed.

No that that is in the past, I did what you said to no avail. I sprayed the connections with Kano Kroil and scrubbed with a wire brush and cleaned out the excess with compressed air. The fuel pump is still not priming when I flick the red switch. The two smaller female connection on the key switch relay are very loose and are wiggling in the housing. You said it is possible to replace the connection although it will be difficult. How can I go about doing this or do you have any other suggestions? I have inspected all of the wires under the front fairing and under the relay center and none show signs of chaffing or wear.

Thank you again.

You should be able to use a pick tool to actually pull the female connectors in question from the relay box. Once you do that I would suggest lightly squeezing them with needle nose pliers. This should restore the right fitting connection you are missing.
    I would suggest you do this one wire at a time. That way you won't put one back in the wrong place.
    This will also give you a better look at the female connector to insure the wire is attached properly.
    Hopefully this is the piece to the puzzle you are missing.
    Good luck

I hope so. Thank you guys so much. I'll tell you how it turns out after this.

So I checked all of the connections in the relay center and they were all good. They all were sending a signal from the relay center under the seat to where they exited the harness. So luckily I shouldn't have to replace those. But I still don't know what exactly is wrong with the relays.

Quote Me from post #3:
    "If I had to guess, I would check the red kill switch for continuity. They get corroded up there on the bars. I bet if you get it running and wiggle that switch, the bike dies.

Easy to clean or replace."

You never said if you checked that switch? Its the thing that turns on the.....

So I've narrowed it down to the female key switch relay being a bitch.

How do you clean them out?
    How did you diagnose this? It doesn't seem to be the problem.
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-31-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Oh sheesh!
    How did I miss that!?
    You have taken the switch housing apart and cleaned it as Cooter suggested, right?

I took apart the switch housing and cleaned that out. There wasn't any corrosion. I double checked with an ohm meter and the circuit was good.

I narrowed it down to the female connector for the key switch relay because I was able to move it around while the bike was in and if I got it in just the right position, the fuel pump would prime and the light on the dash would come on. Then I could fire it up no problem. Once it was running I wiggled the switches on the handlebars and nothing effected it. I wiggled the key and key switch and nothing happened. As soon as I would move the key switch relay it would shut off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast