Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! Ninja 250 to a rough XB9SX

Hello! Ninja 250 to a rough XB9SX

Howdy.

I just traded my 2005 ninja 250 for my buddy's 2005 XB9SX. I had put alot of work into the ninja and my buddy was destroying the XB.

After he locked the front brake up he said he was done with the bike and I told him we can trade, and when he gets a new bike I'll get my ninja back. I've been riding a year and I have been working on cars most my life (although cars bore me now). I restored that ninja and I am looking forward to this project.

But holy crap this thing looks rough.

I started by grinding the aftermarket brake lever so it is no longer keeping the plunger pushed in.
    Aired the tires back to 36 and 38.
    Found a short in the wiring near the triple.
    Realized that wasnt what was blowing the fuse and disconnected the low beam headlight module that was causing the problem.
    Washed it for the first time in years
    Tightened everything that had rattled loose
    Pulled the doorbell switch off that was controlling an aftermarket horn
    And rode 120 miles on it. (i got it 2 days ago)

He had laid it down a few times and tried stunting with it.

Coming from a ninja 250 which was my first bike to this is a crazy experience to say the least. It is the exact opposite of that ninjette. I absolutely love this bike and for better or worse caught the Buell bug.

Just ordered some ebay special turn signals and bar end mirrors.

after I change the fluids I plan on getting some renthal bars to raise the height a little and start going through it system by system as needed.

Theres a decent dent in the frame right where the puck would go and I'm wondering if there's another option for protecting it.

I consider myself fairly competent when it comes to working on bikes and cars and I look forward to learning more about this awesome machine.

Anyway sorry if you read all this. here are the pics.

Welcome to the forum!
    Glad you got the easy stuff figured out already The Buell is a whole galaxy different than the mini-Ninja. Have fun, be careful and get used to the addiction of torque!!
    The frame damage looks minimal, just stick on another puck

C'mon put the doorbell switch back on!

Thank you from saving it from a stunter. Looks like you can save most of the stuff with a grinder and some paint. Headers are cheap and you'll like the Renthals.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-04-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Welcome and nice job saving the xb from certain death! You aren't kidding, rough indeed. Best part of getting a beater bike is you don't really have to worry about aesthetics anymore, just get to enjoy riding, and I'm sure you will. Frame damage doesn't look too bad, slap some frame pucks on that thing to cover up the damage and give it a better chance at surviving a drop. Maybe even some front/rear sliders too? ebay blinkers and mirrors will spruce it up a bit while being cheap enough.

And what is that electrical box hanging near the headlights? Was that the low beam module, doesn't look stock, maybe some aftermarket stuff?

^^^^^ looks like an HID ballast to me.....

Dang he was rough with it! But I love the air box that's the one I want.

I've got one kinda beat up. If you want it, PM me

Thanks guys

I don't think the pics showed the dent well. I think ill get the pucks and if it doesn't work out ill get it filled. I may also see if there are any other options to protect this area.

Axle sliders are on the list.

I need to read up on adjustable suspension because this bike is super stiff. It will be nice to have an adjustable suspension now.

Took it out with an R1 and FZ1 last night and still couldn't keep up on the turns but I'll get there. They all want to ride it so I may get to ride an R1 soon.

I'm probably going to get the exhaust wrapped to cover that up and keep my eyes open for a new stator cover.

HID low beam is going to be changed back to halogen or maybe LED.

It's definitely not going to be a show bike. Just a mean, ugly and loud beast haha.

Try this as a starting point for your suspension. Remember the weight is you plus all your gear

You can get the whole service manual (.pdf download) for free from Buellmods.com, or Buelltooth.com. Both are good resources.

Exhaust wrap will hide the dents and might keep your leg a little cooler, headers are cheap and pretty easy to swap though. You'd be surprised what a light touch with a flap wheel on a grinder and some paint will do for the swingarm and stator cover scratches. You aren't looking to be pretty, but you could make it to respectable

You won't beat the new R-1 through a corner, but you sure will be having more fun
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-04-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Frame pucks are the best and cheapest thing I can think of for the frame. Check the classifieds here or even e-bay for a set.

Since it's been down, pop the seat off and look down at where the passenger peg brackets bolt on. Hopefully your seat rails aren't cracked around them.

I've tried all the lights in those housings and had the best luck with good halogens. YMMV.

It's hot in Texas, I'd get a right side scoop (RSS) or a comfort kit for it. One helps cool the engine, the other cools the engine and your tender bits too. An easy search...

Welcome, ARD! Rough looking, but still a beast! Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast