Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XB12S stalls only at idle, runs great

Hey guys!

Got the cable, checked the error codes - only 1 code stored - O2 sensor always lean. Cleared that.
    Did the TPS reset, ride the bike for 20 minutes, and looked like everything was great.
    Left the bike to cool for a few hours and then started it up. It starts better, but for the first 2 minutes, it may stall once or twice, after it gets a little warm everything is great.
    So, maybe the O2 sensor is bad. The spark plugs were black when i checked, so the mixture is really rich.
    Should i check the Air fuel ratio when it is cold? Or if the O2 sensor is bad, it will show incorrect readings?
    But no new error codes have appeared....

Inactive
    referring to my post to you on 9-13.......i'm assuming here that your OEM ecm has not been tampered with or "re-programmed".
    again you've mentioned blackened/soot covered plugs. can only be the result of obstructed air intake flow....overly rich mapping....failing O2 sensor.....all of which i mentioned on 9-13.
    1-replace the O2 sensor
    2-on your 2005 model you reset the tps to either 5.1 or 5.5-----i prefer 5.1----start bike and bring motor up to temp then set warm idle to approx. 1050rpm. from that point it should idle fine during both cold and warm start-up. fine tune the warm idle speed with the screw you're using for the tps reset.
    3-be sure your AFR is set to 100
    4-and i'll mention this for the last time: are you absolutely certain nobody has "reprogrammed" your ecm prior to your ownership?

and here's the O2 sensor cross-reference list to ease the pain of sourcing one over your way:

02 sensor for buell from GM delco
    GM part #25162693,
    and that crosses to an AC-Delco AFS20.

Bosch= 12014 has the correct connector--use this one.

GM OEM= 8990469 superseded to 25162693

NTK= 21002

Airtex= 553071

Denso= 234-1001

Walker= 250-21001

SNG= SN1-15
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-02-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    referring to my post to you on 9-13.......i'm assuming here that your OEM ecm has not been tampered with or "re-programmed".
    again you've mentioned blackened/soot covered plugs. can only be the result of obstructed air intake flow....overly rich mapping....failing O2 sensor.....all of which i mentioned on 9-13.
    1-replace the O2 sensor
    2-on your 2005 model you reset the tps to either 5.1 or 5.5-----i prefer 5.1----start bike and bring motor up to temp then set warm idle to approx. 1050rpm. from that point it should idle fine during both cold and warm start-up. fine tune the warm idle speed with the screw you're using for the tps reset.
    3-be sure your AFR is set to 100
    4-and i'll mention this for the last time: are you absolutely certain nobody has "reprogrammed" your ecm prior to your ownership?

and here's the O2 sensor cross-reference list to ease the pain of sourcing one over your way:

02 sensor for buell from GM delco
    GM part #25162693,
    and that crosses to an AC-Delco AFS20.

Bosch= 12014 has the correct connector--use this one.

GM OEM= 8990469 superseded to 25162693

NTK= 21002

Airtex= 553071

Denso= 234-1001

Walker= 250-21001

SNG= SN1-15

Thanks lunaticfringe for all the info!

Will try to replace the O2 sensor and see what happens.

I set mine to 5.3 and set the idle at approx 1050-1100. Should i put it to 5.1?

AFR is 100.

Have no idea about the reprogramming, but i highly doubt it, the previous owner did not look like one who would do such things.
    Is there a way i can check if it is original or reprogrammed?

Inactive
    yes sir and always my pleasure.

your AFR is fine......5.3 for your reset is fine.
    i am NO ecm guru but take a look at your fuel and timing tables and see how they compare to stock tables. that will provide your answer. the ecm gurus on here can provide further information on that.

Once you get your cable for ECMspy, go in there and take a pic/screen shot of both your front/rear fuel maps and post up. To do this, start up Spy, connect to your bike.
    Now you want to "fetch EEPROM". once it loads, go under 'map' tab, and you will see your fuel maps. there is a tab above the fueling diagram that will have selections for "front fuel map/rear fuel map/front timing map/rear timing map".
    From there it will be easy to determine if your mapping is stock or not.

Before you jump down the tuning wormhole (see post #3....) You never replied about your idle. What does it idle at when warm? Did you fix the stuck idle screw?

Fixed the cable, when warm the bike runs and idles great approx 1100, no problems then.
    All the problems are when the bike is cold. When cold it idles the same 1100. But shouldn`t the rpm be higher when the engine is cold? On my previous bikes with FI the rpm always was higher.

tokinbuller - will post the fuel maps tomorrow.

Inactive
    But shouldn`t the rpm be higher when the engine is cold? On my previous bikes with FI the rpm always was higher.

NOT on a 2003-2007 XB. the 2008-2010 models control the curb idle speed at all temps with a component known as an IAC switch. on those IAC equipped models they do in fact idle at a higher speed during cold start-up then drop down to 1100 rpm as engine builds heat. very car like. the non-IAC equipped XB models such as your 2005 always idle a tad slower during initial cold start then increase speed as the motor builds to operating temp. nature of the beast as us yanks say.

111.jpg
    222.jpg
    4444.jpg
    6666.jpg

Here is all the info i got from ECMSPY.

Also there is some problem with the cable, there is a connection timed out error after each 5 seconds.

When i reset the TPS, i set it on 5,3%, but then my idle is low approx. 950, when i set it to 1050 the TPS climbs up to 6.3% Is that correct?
    Last edited by screwy; 10-04-2017 at 05:39 PM.

ok i will take a look at the maps when i get home (work). Though it looks like you have a race ecm in there; ID BUEGB231. Your ECM should have "race use only" on it.

Make sure its set correctly (TPS). Back it all the way out to zero, snap throttle to ensure it reads zero via spy, hit reset. raise it to 5.3-5.7. start bike. let it warm up to operating temp, approx 180 or take a short ride, then reset it til the idle gets to around 1050-1150. Engine MUST be warm for setting it the final time.

ok so your maps have been slightly tweeked. see stock race maps below. I do not think the maps are your issue though. Just make sure your ECM runtime > cold start enrichment match these values below.

ecmruntime.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Last edited by tokinbuller; 10-04-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast