Thread: Buell xb9sx bucking/surging

Buell xb9sx bucking/surging

I have an 08 xb9sx. Bike runs great for about 5 minutes, then starts bucking and surging around 2500rpms and up. If I shut the bike off and turn it back on, it rides great for another 5 minutes, then has the same problem. Any ideas what could cause this?

Give more information about the bike, like, how many miles, tunes, exhaust, has the fuel pump been replaced , any work done to it lately, what have you checked so far ? That's what they'll need to try and help you.

Inactive
    fuel pump on the way to death row.....or faulty ignition relay.....or key switch relay. buy at least 1 new relay and start substituting it for the suspect one. there are only 3. they interchange with any chrysler or ford a/c relay. $6 at local parts store.take yours along to match it up.

also have seen some cityX models with the tank vent tube pinched between the airbox cover and frame...it was mis-routed. check that as well as gas cap for proper venting. you have a fuel starvation problem.

I recently had this issue as well. It was while I was tuning my bike so I thought I fudged my fuel map haha. But after checking my map, and a few data logs I ran while the issue popped up, I noticed in them my TPS value was dropping to zero every time it 'bucked'. Bike would ride good up to 2500 and surge/buck just like you described. Replaced the sensor an waalaaa, issue gone.

If your able to log a ride through ECMDroid or similar, it's easy to spot and relatively cheap fix.

Good luck
    Tokin

Hey bud any update with your issue? I just wanted to chime back in, and let you know, that my above post, DID NOT fix my issue. I thought it did, as it didnt show up on a few short rides i took her on after installing the new TPS sensor. Havent rode in like a week, as i twisted my left ankle last week, and finally rode her in today to work; about a 45 min ride/25 miles, and half way through, the bucking started again in the 2500-2900 rpm range. Once i throttle past this range, it seems to run ok, no issue like this range gives me. (not meaning to hi-jack your thread) Lunatic, i did some digging, and found a older thread you provided part #s to and found these:

2005 Ford AC relay #36126
    Panasonic CM1-D-12V $4 each online.
    NAPA V11214 $5 at napa
    NAPA v11190 $5 at napa

Now my question is, are all 3 of the relays in the fuse box the same? As in i can just buy any 3 of the above and throw them all in? I plan to check all the 10/15amp fuses to make sure those are good as well. My fuel pump primes normally, tested it and injectors through ECM spy. Any other thoughts on this bucking issue?

On a side note, i have been tuning/adjusting fuel maps. However, i had a really good map, as my base map, and after this issue arose before installing the TPS, i switched back to it to ensure it wasnt the newer map i made, and issue was still there. Leaving me to believe its not the maps.

Tokin

Inactive
    are all 3 of the relays in the fuse box the same?

yes. and 20 amp rated

went to advanced auto, picked up the ford focus AC one, and cycled it through all the relays, with no luck. Then decided to remove the air box/plate and look for loose ends (few weeks back i dropped the engine to replace rear rocker), and still didnt see anything after checking plugs, wires, sensors velocity stack etc.. whole time is was staring me right in the face, my ground right in the middle of the bike was loose. torqued it down, and just got back from a hour long ride, issue free.

I have read you say it a million times lunatic haha. fell like a jackarse, but glad this issue is gone.

Chocolatepanda, check all your grounds, clean them and re-install them before putting money down on parts lol

Tokin

We've all had similar "face palm" moments. They usually come after we ignore the advice of those MUCH more seasoned then us, not just with motorcycles but also in life, only to realize they were right in the first place!

Glad you found the issue!
    I hope anyone reading this realizes that anytime you have a running issue you should check ALL the little things before move on to more complicated and expensive things.