Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Help/Question

Exhaust Help/Question

I bought I knew to me 2007 xb12s this past weekend, and starting to go over everything it has, secrets, wants, etc. After a number of hours of research I was wondering if I could get a little help identifying my exhaust (see pics)? I am not sure this is the stock exhaust or the racing exhaust by virtue of the mounting clamps and brackets. Also attached is a picture of the baffle the previous owner removed from the exhaust. Anyone know what specific exhaust this may be?

The rear bracket is bent a bit, and rubbing/denting the exhaust some. Also, the rear bracket has a rubber liner that is decaying and needs to be replaced. While part of me wants to research and find a new bracket/clamp, part of me wants to start fresh and get a new exhaust...maybe a Jardine since the kits can still be found NIB. But at the same time, if this exhaust is still in good shape or wanted I'd like to know what I actually have for resale (if I do upgrade).

I appreciate the help as I learn

exhaust1.jpgexhaust2.jpgexhaust3.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
    Sorry, I have no ides what that exhaust is, but it's certainly not the factory Buell race exhaust. I would recommend looking around youtube for clips of the type of exhaust note you are looking for and go from there. I'll caution you against the Jardine for the Buells. They have been known to rattle apart pretty quickly on some bikes.

Some of the better exhausts are Hawk, Dean Adams (Keda), Drummer, and I have an interesting stainless Supertrapp (old skool) that I like a lot on my STT. The XB's can sound ridiculously good with the right muffler.

I would suggest getting a manual from Buellmods.com to get used to the maintenance for this bike (it's minimal) and check out Buelltooth.com for lots of info on diagnosing or tuning the bike to match the pipe among other things.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-18-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Your exhaust looks to me like a Jardine that's been painted black.

Thanks Cooter! I mainly leaned towards Jardine simply because I could find new in box kits (to start from scratch). I wasn't sure if I could send this out to Drummer since I had no idea what exhaust it was. I will look in to the others you mentioned. There isn't much on ebay right now either...they all look to be in worse shape than what I have with the exception of one (but it was missing all hardware). I actually ordered a buelltooth last night The previous owner mentioned "it has the buell racing ECM" but aside from that comment, not sure what else has been done. That's why I initially looked to see if this was the buell racing exhaust.

Oh, and I did get the 700 page printed service manual from the previous owner, so that's nice.
    Last edited by lwclancers; 09-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    Your exhaust looks to me like a Jardine that's been painted black.
    Yea, it really does (both shape and pipe exit location). If you look closely at where the rear strap is crooked and pushing in to the exhaust you can kind of see what looks like paint rubbing off showing silver underneath. I may need to inspect that a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Welcome , Yes , I have never seen it before, that is a stumper, If Cooter cant name it for sure its a off brand pipe. Do you have any pics of the full bike for us ?
    This is the only decent (full) pic I have for now. I have it somewhat in pieces now looking things over (mainly wiring from some hackjob LED work). Pretty sure some of the frame support was painted (after looking closely at it, along with the chipping on the heat guards). They also chopped the stock tail and painted over the grind areas (which is fine). I may need to take the frame off along with the other plastics for some sanding and repainting or hydrodipping...just to make it "new" again

B1.jpg

From What I can see, Looks solid and a lot of Fun to work on and even ride. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    From What I can see, Looks solid and a lot of Fun to work on and even ride. Thx
    For sure. Solid and some nice maintenance things are new (belt, rotar, wheel bearings, battery). Mostly some cosmetic things I am figuring out and part hunting for (one order already from New Castle has items out of stock, sigh). The muffler/exhaist is confusing the hell out of me though. It could end up being a small bracket/clamp to fix and good to go...or be a $500 items.

Trying to get it titled and registered today. Unfortunately needs some things done to it to pass VA inspection to ride.

I checked with the previous owner and "believes" this actually is a Jardine (installed by the owner before him)...and probably painted. What would you guys do? Take it off and see what happens trying to get the paint off...touch up the paint...install new? I am considering all of them. I guess first will be to see if I can find a replacement bracket from Jardine for the one that is bent and falling apart. If I repaint, should I strip down the old paint anyway? I am guessing if I do strip it down, its probably going to look like crap. Might repaint of high heat paint (either black or maybe red) and then high heat cleat coat...a lot of it

If you decide to keep the exhaust I have a spare bracket lying around... PM is you want it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast