Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Help/Question

20170919_180720.jpg
    Last edited by GregoXB; 09-19-2017 at 10:08 PM.

I would snag up that bracket/clamp from Gregoxb, support a fellow forum member!
    OR if you'd rather spend twice as much money, Jardine does sell replacement parts, you'll have to call them though. At least thats what I had to do.
    As long as the end caps aren't loose I would remove the pipe, polish the stainless bits, tape up shiny parts, scuff sand the black portion of the pipe, and paint that piece with some flat black charcoal grill paint! That's what I do with mine! Makes it look like a new pipe....
    my bike is NOT showroom condition, nor will it ever be, so this works for me.

Thank you GregoXB..paid!

For every "oh man, need to fix that" I am uncovering hidden treasures as well. Not to mention learning quickly from some patient folks on here as I browse through threads and ask questions, even if some of them are newbie-ish.

The end caps seem ok on the pipe. I used brake cleaner to clean up the horrible baffle since the previous owner removed it. I think I am leaning towards removing the can from the headers and at a minimum sand away a bit of paint to see how well it's on there. I may try some paint thinner/remover and see if that will bubble up the paint for easier removal. Given how much things are covered in soot, I may likely break the can down and re-pack it also...using it as a chance to also clean the individual pieces and repaint it (if necessary, but probably likely)

Try using lacquer thinner and a rag to get the paint off first, it's my favorite drug..lol. Also you look to be missing some rivets in the end cap but if you intend to rebuild you'll be replacing them anyway. Depot sells stainless steel rivets if you were unaware. Good luck and have fun.

Just keep an eye on the rivets after you replace. The stainless can has a habit of making the holes where the rivets go bigger so new rivets don't stay tight. I had an aluminum can and didn't have that problem but my buddy did an can blow apart. If any holes are bigger go the next size rivet up. You really shouldn't see the size difference in rivets if you are painting it again.
    Last edited by rchuff; 09-20-2017 at 10:17 AM.

I also used red high temp silicone on my race bike cans when i cut them down and re riveted it wound up being bulletproof and will not let the rivets "egg" the holes. Just run it around the lip of the end cap before you re install, rivet, and wipe off excess and your g2g.

^^^^^^ good idea!

Thanks for so many replies overnight, appreciate it. One reason I want to repack and strip the paint is to try and get the exhaust back to "new" as much as I can. I definitely planned to pay attention to the rivets, probably enlarging them a bit for larger sized rivets.

With some of the things I am finding I am pretty sure the exhaust was ignored for quite some time, took quite a bit of work to scrub the soot off just the baffle with a wire brush and brake cleaner. If I get this thing apart and the work doesnt seem fitting I may start new, but I'd prefer to give this a go. I just need to put it in line with a host of things to clean up such as lighting/electrical and brake line fluid first and foremost

That is definitely a Jardine Pipe and that second circular piece is the Db Killer insert. I had the Jardine prior to owning the Drummer SS and Dean Adams RT-XB1 and I have to say the build quality of the pipe is lacking. It is, however, the lightest of the three pipes. You will want to double check to see if your front mounting bracket has not broken the weld at the elbow. Mine broke there (very thin weld and poor design) and I've been told it is a common issue.

Will look for that too ocgreenmachine. I need to get the chin fairing off and take a closer look at everything, even if I dont break the exhaust off here in the next few days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast