Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots to do....need some advice....

Quote Originally Posted by tokinbuller View Post
    Leave it in gear when you put her on the stand. Keeps her in place for the job. Zips aint a bad idea though lol
    The rear stand that I have jacks it up from the axle bolts on either side of the swingarm.....so the rear tire isn't in contact with anything. Leaving it in gear wouldn't do much.

Warner

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    If are not sure were the oil is coming from as of yet , Do a good job cleaning all the oil mess up, then go for a ride and look real good to see were it coming from. If I have to guess I would say rockers very common.

Nothing fancy,but it works.

Attachment 8325
    See, to me, that's fancy.

Warner

Well, using my ghetto straps to the rafters method, I got the fan and O2 sensor replaced. That fan is a real bitch to get out, huh? Here's some photos. If anyone can look at the photos with the fan removed and tell where the oil is leaking from, let me know. I buttoned it all back up, mainly so it wasn't left hanging from the rafters...that was kind of a sketchy setup. After putting the battery back in, I ran a fan test from ecmdroid and the fuse didn't blow, so my original issue was definitely the fan.

Warner

Hanging from rafters.jpg

Hanging from rafters 2.jpg

Fan removed.jpg

Fan removed 2.jpg

Fan removed 3.jpg

Rear Rocker for sure!!!! Your first fan removal is always a PITA.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 09-22-2017 at 02:27 AM.

Rear Rocker for sure!!!!
    Figured. Thanks for the diagnosis. I have 5ea James rocker gaskets (how they are sold at Summit Racing), so I guess I'll do that and the plugs/wires. Not tomorrow though. Haha. How long do you think it takes for that oil film to build up in the fan bay?

Warner

Time to Rotate that motor, Once it starts its hard to say 400 miles , and the right air scoop helps spread it around. Once the rear gasket get a hot spot it starts , When you take the gaskets out you will see where it got hot an discolored a little and went bad. The norm is about 6K to 10K from what I understand HD upgraded the gaskets knowing they had issues.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 09-22-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Banned
    So it looks like the temperature there is more than 400 F (200 C) (maximal temperature of average silicone).

Time to Rotate that motor, Once it starts its hard to say 400 miles , and the right air scoop helps spread it around. Once the rear gasket get a hot spot it starts , When you take the gaskets out you will see where it got hot an discolored a little and went bad. The norm is about 6K to 10K from what I understand HD upgraded the gaskets knowing they had issues.
    Well, you're right on the money then. I have between 8-9k on it, and recently put the right side scoop on. Good call. From the research that I've done, it seems like most people recommend the James gaskets, so that's what I ordered. I'll get after the engine rotation soon. In looking at all the steps, it doesn't appear that there are too many redundant from what I did for the fan replacement, so that's good. I'm also going to do the breather mod while I'm doing this other work.

Warner

In that last pic I see a screw sitting on the black hose don't forget to get it out of their. You are doing rocker box and rocker cover right?
    Last edited by rchuff; 09-22-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    In that last pic I see a screw sitting on the black hose don't forget to get it out of their. You are doing rocker box and rocker cover right?
    The screw was one of the fan screws...its back in holding the fan in.

I only have rocker cover gaskets...

Warner

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast