Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots to do....need some advice....

Inactive
    "they" didn't put anything on the threads. mother nature did. it's called corrosion. your bike has seen alot of inclement weather/power washing/road salt or a combination of all 3. you mentioned "loosening the belt" and "giant allen wrenches". if the area behind your front pulley cover is any indication....and it is....you're about to destroy your rear axle during removal process without proper procedures taken.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-24-2017 at 11:44 AM.

No mention in this post if you have a service manual.
    Go to www.buellmods.com and download one. Will really help you understand the tools you need and the procedure to follow during engine rotation.

👍

I do have the service manual. I used those pages for the fan replacement. The instructions I'm using for the engine rotation have been the ones on this site with the photos.

So what's the secret with the axle? (Yes, I'll read through the steps on the service manual as well).

Thanks guys,

Warner

By the way, my back wheel was off a few months ago when I got new tires installed, so I'm not expecting any trouble from the axle bolts.
    Last edited by Webbie; 09-24-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Looks like cake. My previous reply was in reference to Lunatic Fringe's comment:

"if the area behind your front pulley cover is any indication....and it is....you're about to destroy your rear axle during removal process without proper procedures taken."

I was wondering specifically what those "procedures" were.

So it looks like I need to order:

The James gasket kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XIOZ0G...iglink27866-20
    (and send my rocker cover gaskets back to Summitt racing).

2ea PCV's (from St Paul Harley - SKU: HD-17607-00Y Price: $26.30ea TURRET VALVE, PCV)

2ea Grommets (from St Paul Harley - 17606-00YA Price: $2.99 GROMMET, VITON, BLACK)

I've read different reports about using red silicone in conjunction with the gaskets as the gaskets alone sometimes to not fill the gap completely - not sure about that one yet though. Anyone want to chime in on that?

Thanks again everyone...you guys are great,

Warner
    Last edited by Webbie; 09-25-2017 at 12:13 PM.

I had good luck with https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-maker-4/ , everybody has there favorite.

I think lunaticfringe was concerned with your axle looking the same as you pulley screws rusted in, but since your axle has been out recently you will be ok, once out put a thin layer of grease on the axle. I would do that wire brush and lube all your hardware bolts before reassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    I had good luck with https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-maker-4/ , everybody has there favorite.

I think lunaticfringe was concerned with your axle looking the same as you pulley screws rusted in, but since your axle has been out recently you will be ok, once out put a thin layer of grease on the axle. I would do that wire brush and lube all your hardware bolts before reassembly.
    Thanks. Will do. Some bolts were fine (removing the shock wasn't the pain that some have expressed), and others were tough (those pulley cover bolts). In looking at the header and exhaust bolts, those look scary to me. I've only had the bike for a year now, but it's always been garage kept and never seen rain since I've owned it. I bought it from a co-worker (female) who didn't ride it much and I know it was garage kept. Whether or not it's been rained on, I can't say.

Warner

PS - Would you NOT blue loctite the bolts going back in?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post

I do not plan on removing the axle completely....just loosening it so I get slack in the belt for the engine rotation.

Warner

before you button it up , a thin layer of Grease over the complete axle.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast