Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misfire

Misfire

I have a 2009 xb12s lightning. At 2500RPM it seems to have a slight miss. Every once in a while it will miss and act for a second like its going to die at 65MPH. Why? I wired the exhaust butterfly wide open. I had read that someone else on here had done the same thing, could that be the problem? I got the bike with a broken exhaust header,what are the chances that I have a burnt valve?
    One other separate item. Can someone please tell me how to keep the damn mirrors were I put them? After about 5 minutes at 50MPH the mirrors push inward.
    Thanks for the help,
    Walter

I wouldn't recommend wiring the butterfly wide open unless you have done other mods ( air filter, race maps, mode exhaust) that could be your problem. Bet there is a stored code in ECM. You should get ecmspy or ecmdroid to check . Then do appropriate up grades. After upgrades you can go into spy or droid and shut actuator off.
    Last edited by rchuff; 09-26-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Inactive
    Every once in a while it will miss and act for a second like its going to die at 65MPH. Why?

your inadequate info precludes anything more than a "parts chase" but possibilities are plugs....plug wires....need of a dedicated engine ground as mentioned on here 100X.

I got the bike with a broken exhaust header,what are the chances that I have a burnt valve?

who knows? an accurate compression test done by an experienced wrench will reveal if you do or don't.

Can someone please tell me how to keep the damn mirrors were I put them? After about 5 minutes at 50MPH the mirrors push inward.

do the mirror heads only move inward or does the entire mirror assembly pivot on the mount? if heads pivot it's a tough fix short of replacement. if entire assemblies pivot then remove from handlebar mounts....lock mount bolt into a vice.....loosen adjustment nut.....you'll find both the shaft and collar very rusty.....clean up....lube up....reassemble.....reinstall. your adjustment nut is not only frozen up but now loose allowing mirror to pivot. do the above to remedy.

Thanks for the help I can't get the cable for it for now. That green stuff called money is tight right now. I can pick up a new cable for $25.00 or $30.00. Now that you have said something about the ECM the "Check Engine" idiot light has come on in the past. But, after a few minutes it goes out or if I shut the bike off then re start it the light goes out.
    I would like to get the ecmspy or the........ Damn I cant think of the other cable that you could get(Maybe the same cable just with a different name) for the bike I have seen it on Amazon.com. As far as air filter,race maps, mode exhaust; I am not sure if that work was done. I do know that it has a K&N air filter in it. However I don't think that is what your talking about for "Extras" type of work.
    Thanks for the help rchuff.
    Walter

The mirrors are factory new. I mean that I had to order them. The mirror(s) it self is tight to the handle bars. The heads pivot when I ride.
    Update: After a handle bar adjustment the mirrors do move still but I think that they move still; but less than before. I think that engine issues are causing the mirrors to move/rear view difficult as well. I am having miss fires and other problems that I am currently work on to resolve.
    Thanks for the help,
    Walter

Lots of good advice given from the above guys, If your cable has been removed you will be challenged by rerouting a new one correctly in place. Don't Ask Me How I Know

As far as the mirrors just tighten the base up a little, should hold them in place.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 09-26-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now I have a different problem. I got the cable a few days ago and, put it on the same day. I took the bike out for the first time today it still misses and the( I will assume this) check engine light is on then off. it seems like the RPM'S are just a couple of hundred low.
    As far as the interactive exhaust cable goes I did install it the same way it came off. Everything as far as I can see is working with it is just fine. The servo cycles(I guess) like it should.
    Thanks for the help again. When this thing starts to run right I will not now what to do with my self. LOL

Sounds like the same problem. RPM Couple of hundred low? On idle or?
    Does your “miss” feel like a hesitation or a stutter? And when this occurs is this when you CEL comes on?
    Lunatic gave sound advice for the info you’ve provided. Check your grounds first since they are easier. If they are all securely tightened down and no corrosion or fraying then check your plugs.
    Your best bet is to get the codes for your CEL, that is your bike telling you what the issue is.

One other thought that just came to my mind. Why does the speedometer say that I am going 65mph but I am getting passed like I am just sitting there? Is there a known problem with the speedometers on these bikes? Because I picked-up the pace to 70 in a 55mph zone. :-) I was keeping up with the other cars but not sure how bad I was speeding. I am a firefighter here locally. The last thing that I want to see and hear is"Walter; buddy, do know why I stopped you?"
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tokinbuller,
    The plugs are new(maybe 300 miles)?. I need to get the equipment to check what the CEL is all about. As soon as I get the time to figure out were the engine grounds are and check them, I will. I am not sure how old the plug wires are.
    Thoughts:
    What about the TPS?
    What about the idea that all miles that I ran it "Wrong" are still working there way out.
    After all those thoughts; oh darn I will need to take it out and do more test riding(Man that suck's)! LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast