Thread: 2008 XB12R Side Stand Spring - Need Part Number -

2008 XB12R Side Stand Spring - Need Part Number -

Hey guys,

Does anyone have the part number handy for the side stand / jiffy stand spring? My kickstand is a little loose and I think the current spring that's on the stand may not be the correct part. Just bought this bike about 1 month ago.

Thanks,

Anthony

Inactive
    anthony: OEM part # for spring only is L1204.1AM if sidestand is "loose" then you need to check the following:
    1-check sidestand mount to engine case bolts and tighten if necessary
    2-check sidestand-to-mount for sidestand ears wear as well as pin wear. if worn or loose replace.
    3- replacement upgraded service kit for the R model if #2 is suspect is: L1167.02A8-------as of today 23 of this item in system
    your year XB automatically has the upgraded pin, stand and circlip from the factory but if any or all of these parts are worn and need replacing much more cost effective just to order entire service kit.
    see schematic. it is the service kit info if required and nice schematic to refer to.8854_20110323163544_L.jpg

You are the MAN!! Thank you so much for sharing this! This week, I replaced the sidestand and pin with new parts. The mount to engine is tight but I just purchased a new one and will replace it today. I also have a new spring (same part number you shared) but it looks much shorter than the one on there now. I suspect that the one that's on there is not the correct part. I will try to install the new one shortly.

Really appreciate the super-fast reply!!

Anthony

Inactive
    my pleasure anthony. see attachment. this is a drum brake tool and makes it extremely easy to install these pesky sidestand springs. you can pick one up at any auto parts store or online for a few bucks. the tell-tale sign of an incorrect spring or a spring that is stretched beyond service length is that when the sidestand is in retracted/up position it is loose meaning it want to fall back down.313PuTTFT0L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Just installed the new plate and spring. Huge difference! I tried using the "penny" trick to stretch the spring but was about 1/4" short. Then tried a screw driver to get the spring over the peg. No luck! By pure coincidence, my next door neighbor walked over right as I was doing this and I asked him if he had this type of tool. Would you believe he had 2 of them? He gave me one and it worked like a charm! Appreciate the help and insight on this!!

Curious - I just bought this bike. It has roughly 14k miles on it. Is there anything that you can think of that I should be particularly concerned with on these models with this much mileage? The thing was in desperate need of some TLC when I bought it. Thus far, I have replaced the stand, cleaned the throttle body and idle air control. Throttle body was incredibly carboned up. I also did a TPS reset. The thing ran a little rough before I did all of this. Runs beautifully now. Next on the list are new front brake pads. I also have to pull the fuel pump and replace the low fuel sensor.

Inactive
    thoroughly check all your grounds. i have outlined on here many times where all of 2008 XB grounds are. i would also consider closely checking your wheel bearings and idler pulley bearings. perhaps do them at next tire change. it's a very easy job and worth the peace of mind though the stock bearings are a very good quality contrary to the internet rumor mill. if you're choosing to replace the front pads then do the rears as well. i sell EBC HH pads to alot of board members at a few bucks over dealer cost. when removing the pump replace the pair of O-rings that seal the pump to the frame. do NOT source them from local dealer. they list for $6.35 each and i have them the pair for $6.
    also check your battery. if it's some chinese garbage odd-ball brand get it the hell out of there and buy a quality deka or big crank. same battery from penn mfg just marketed under different names. if you're sporting a junker battery i guarantee it will leave you sit somewhere and it will NOT be in your driveway. these XB's are hell on batteries. buy quality and wire it for a tender.
    lastly...when doing the pads keep in mind your bike is 9 years old. at that time flush the front and rear brake systems and replace with fresh dot-4. again....very easy to do correctly and if you're not familiar with the procedure i'll walk you thru it.

Awesome! Appreciate the insight! I'd like to get a set of rear pads and o-rings from you if possible. I already bought the EBC's for the front. Just checked the battery. It is a Deca. Was replaced one year ago per the paperwork that came with the bike.

Great idea on the brake fluid flush! I will do that with the pad replacements.

Inactive
    deka plant right up the road from me and they're batteries are incredible and priced nicely. the best i've found to date for all the buells and H-D's. they are also the OEM manufacturer for all H-D/Buell batteries.
    send me a mail and i'll send the parts out to you that want monday when i return to work.
    scootertrash196@yahoo.com