Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gremlins and Stuff Code 14 CEL Flashing Stumbling HWY only

Gremlins and Stuff Code 14 CEL Flashing Stumbling HWY only

So, figured I would finally make a post since im stuck, been coming here a long time lurking and pretty much finding all I need to with prev. threads, however now I need some advice.
    03 Xb9s 20k Miles Race exhaust and kn filter /race tune BUEGB, I will list what I did this year to it since its when it all started going down hill for me.
    Jan 17 rear cyl temp sensor dies fan refuses to kick on but runs when jumped. fixed new sensor.
    March starts throwing 02 sensor running lean/inactive. cali bike originally with smog removed the evap line to the intake had a whole in fixed blocked it
    April again i start getting consistent code 13 this time its 02 inactive. replaced 02 with ac delco, 1 week same thing, replaced with bosch , same thing OEM replacement is fitted nothing changes...
    June notice my head light is out, (all this time ive been lurking around here trying to put info together) convinced myself its either a ground or voltage regulator since my was looking crispy when I removed it for inspection. replaced the voltage regulator with Ricks which is not a OEM fit btw.
    July still throwing 02 inactive/changed intake seals because of suspected leak and also sparkplugs and wires. Data logged new tune runs infinitely better and no decel popping.
    August issue persists but is random always at highway speeds on cruise throttle being held steady, CEL flashes but keeps no code , doesnt stay on permanently, when It stops flashing and I get a solid CEL reads 02 inactive.
    FINIALLY CHECKED CLEANED and re did all grounds except for headlight assembly. No more 02 inactive. (got tired of messing with it as you can see from my post I have two other bikes and one is a project bobber, the other being my gsxr.<-- i rode that since i got fed up but I keep coming back to the xb dammit.)

Sept Oct getting tired of messing with it, when I took it for a long test ride 100miles ish 2hr ish mixed but mostly highway a CEL flicker but it went away almost instantly i pulled to a gas station and ran the code. code 14 engine temp sensor too low/broken wire.

Besides the 100mile test ride when it gave code14 to me with in the first 5 miles , after that i never saw the cel flash and the rest of the test went smooth with no issues, coming home from work one day it flashes like I said almost 5min into the ride not even 5 miles. I get home check code14,
    Important to note fan works when the bikes is running and when I stop.

okay seriously I love this bike if my solid block of text isnt proof.
    Could it be a ground? Have I missed something or could the temp sensor fail since it was the first thing replaced and I was troubleshooting test riding on and off all those months? I will do several more rides to and from work 20 25min rides to see if it is a consistent throw,

I will go for another test ride and update see if its a pattern from cold starts/bike being left out overnight ect.

Sorry for the long block of text I tried to be as detailed/ as possible with pattern of issues and also keeping it sweet and to the point. Looking for help thanks guys.
    Last edited by th3jager; 10-02-2017 at 05:39 PM.

I would pull the airbox base off and check the wiring to the O2 and headtemp sensor.
    If those look good and you're 100% positive all your grounds, sensors, and connections are good I'd start looking into the wiring diagram to see what wires feed the O2 signal to the ECM
    That last suggestion is me thinking out loud. BC I'm not sure how you would test if the issue is actually your ECM

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    I would pull the airbox base off and check the wiring to the O2 and headtemp sensor.
    If those look good and you're 100% positive all your grounds, sensors, and connections are good I'd start looking into the wiring diagram to see what wires feed the O2 signal to the ECM
    That last suggestion is me thinking out loud. BC I'm not sure how you would test if the issue is actually your ECM
    Just finished doing that can came back from a ride same issue still happening at seemingly random, i had it happen at the beginning of the ride, hesitation stumble CEL flashing inconsistently on and off and bam, no CEL nothing smooth ride for the next 20min untill I made it home. These issues do not happen during city commutes or traffic , I am also now aiming towards the ECM looking to getting a replacement from somewhere but they are all blank the only other choice I have found is IDS and I have emailed them to see if I can get a new ECM with my firmware on it. IF that fails and I hope it doesnt its possibly the Harness. Also prior to my ride when inspecting the connectors my TEMP sensor connector from the harness came off and was broken, I proceeded to cut both ends and put up a universal plug and sealed it with heatshrink. So also now I need a new sensor.

Did you clear the codes after making the repair?
    Give that a shot.
    Report back after your ride

I did clear the codes trying a new battery that I purchased for the bobber/ going to get it tmrw since its garaged in a different city. If the CELs are still there I am ordering a new ECM and Engine Temp Sensor. I will report in once the new battery is installed, and test ridden.

Replace the temp sensor first.
    You might be lucky and find that's the only issue.
    Also, temp sensor is A LOT cheaper than an ECM.

just and update, put in a temp sensor and it is now giving me a o2 sensor inactive, i have a new sensor but this is my 3rd sensor and there is no way i have 3 bad in a row, so new ecm is ordered , tested ignition coil to be safe and it checked out as well, once the new ecm comes I will do a test drive and if it still gives me the O2 sensor i will replace that as well. cheers guys.

Hope you get it sorted out. Sounds an awful lot like a loose ground somewhere. Good luck man. Hope the ECM takes away your headache.

thanks guys I hope so too, i also feel like its a ground but i think i have checked everything both sides of the tail the battery itself obv, the engine to chassis coil that sits on rear cylinder ive changed the voltage regulator new plugs new wires, ohm tested the stator and ignition coil. Is there any ground im missing i looked at the headlight assembly but could not locate a ground is that Ully /firebolt only thing? besides physically looking at the stator ive checked everything i could think or know off.

Found this info helpful when I had grounding issue, from a post by ReadyXB, the shake test worked for me:
    "Do you have a service manual? There is a complete wiring diagram and also some diagnostic procedures, such as measuring resistance to ground for several circuits. tried the "wiggle" test? If you can get the engine to a stable idle: then wiggle, shake, and/or bend the wiring harness at various places and connections (including the ECM) to see if anything happens: a change in idle, engine dies, CEL comes on, etc."
    Depending what year you have (I think) there’s a ground behind the headlight near the steering rack.

*edit for credit

Last edited by tokinbuller; 10-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast