Thread: What are your fan settings and why?

What are your fan settings and why?

I'm trying to reach a happy medium where my bike stays cool for longevity, but the fan doesn't run forever after I shut it off. I have ecmdroid so I can mess with the settings. From what I've been able to find, the stock settings for my version of ECM were:

2008 XB12, BUE2D calibration.

Fan Key-On ON temperature: 220*C
    Fan Key-On OFF temperature: 180*C
    Fan Key-Off ON temperature: 190*C
    Fan Key-Off OFF temperature: 170*C
    Fan Key-Off Run Duty Cycle: 40%

Mine WERE set much lower than this....by me at some point. This morning before I left for work, I changed them all down 20 degrees from the factory setting, so they are now set like this:

Fan Key-On ON temperature: 200*C
    Fan Key-On OFF temperature: 160*C
    Fan Key-Off ON temperature: 170*C
    Fan Key-Off OFF temperature: 150*C
    Fan Key-Off Run Duty Cycle: 40%

When I pulled into my spot at work today and shut it off, the fan didn't even come on. Now, it's probably 70 degrees Fahrenheit today and most of my ride is at 50+ mph. Also, I did install the right side scoop.

I'm curious how others have their fan settings set and why. Let me know and thanks guys,

Warner

I dont know the specs off hand, but i have copied the EBR ecm settings. Mine also barely runs when i power off. only on the hot summer days 90*+ it would come on most days. recently sinice its been cooler its barely come on at all.
    Ill look at the exact details when im home later for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by tokinbuller View Post
    I dont know the specs off hand, but i have copied the EBR ecm settings. Mine also barely runs when i power off. only on the hot summer days 90*+ it would come on most days. recently sinice its been cooler its barely come on at all.
    Ill look at the exact details when im home later for ya.
    Fantastic. thanks Tokinbuller!

Warner

Inactive
    combined with the RSS setup the stock settings work fine. why mess with them? run time totally dependent on ambient air temp...length of ride....RSS installed or not....idle time prior to shut down....rear head temps.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    combined with the RSS setup the stock settings work fine. why mess with them? run time totally dependent on ambient air temp...length of ride....RSS installed or not....idle time prior to shut down....rear head temps.
    Agreed. I'm just checking because the temps for shutting off were all the way down at 110. So I figured if I set them 20 degrees cooler than stock (But not all the way down to 110!), that could only be better than the stock 2008 settings. I'm curious to see how tokinbuller has his set....and others.

Warner
    Last edited by Webbie; 10-03-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Key on: 220* / 180* only difference is the key off settings: 220*/200

Even with my lowered settings, my fan didn't come on at all after my ride home. I couldn't believe it. I turned it back on (just the key) and connected up via Buelltooth to ECMdroid and my cylinder head temp was just under 150 degrees, so it wouldn't have come on. Hard to believe because when I had it set super low (170/130 key on, 130/110 key off) the fan would ALWAYS come on after a ride, and STAY on for minutes. It's just weird not having it come on at all. It was only around 70 today, and I do have the right side scoop, but still felt strange not having the fan come on.

Warner

IF I am understanding you correctly, your key-off low temp was 110? This would keep your fan on until your temp drops below 110. So if your turning off your bike at 170-180 it would stay on longer to reach 110. raising your key off to 150 will lower the fan running time. I believe that even if your setting is 130/110 for off, and your temp is 160 turning off it will still kick on cause its higher than your 'high' off setting. though i am not sure as i havent lowered mine like that lol.

The only issues I've seen with fan settings is people adjusting them too low thinking their bike will run cooler.

That either makes the key on fan run way too much and kills it prematurely and stresses the charging system unnecessarily, or key off runs way too long and kills the battery.

IMO, I'd run the stock settings if you run it stock, or the Race settings if you race it. Why out think the wheel? If you have that much free time, wash your bike and go ride the thing!

You guys are both correct. My settings were WAY too low. Glad I caught this after just replacing the fan, battery, and voltage regulator.

Warner