Thread: advanced static timing

advanced static timing

Have any of you gurus made timing maps? or do you just leave them stock? I am currently running stock timing maps. i did have a advanced map i was running for a while but swapped it back when i thought i had a TPS issue. Honestly i have kinda missed the timing map LOL. Bike just seems to run smoother on the idle/low end, albeit a little faster idle, so it makes my TPS value lower; 4.1 for 1150 idle, makes it sound more sporty, less Harley. This map is adjusted in the first 4 columns; 800, 1000, 1350 & 2000. The remainder is from a EBR race ECM setting. Any who, hoping someone can let me know what they think if theyve tuned theirs, or if i should just keep the stock timing settings.

Tokin

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

Unless you only run legit race gas (93 octane pump gas is not race gas), I would leave it stock.

Buells don't have a knock sensor, so advancing the timing without proper tuning (on a dyno) can very easily cause much more damage than you know. Even on a stock muffler you probably can't hear it pinging and knocking while is bashing your piston to bits.

Thanks for your feed back Cooter. I figured as much regarding dyno tuning it, but i didnt think these adjustments in the lower idle/rpm range would cause ping or knock. BUT totally understand your points, and thats def not something im interested in doing right now; dealing with pistons with holes in them lol.

Seriously! Not a fun repair but then you can put in 9 pistons

I'd think you can get away with a little bit more advance at low load/low RPM and if a couple degrees makes it run better have fun, but it's a slippery slope with fuel quality falling and waaaay more ethanol in pump gas than they say. Yes ethanol is higher octane, but it's the inconsistency of pump gas that's the issue. The tank you tune it with, won't be the tank that kills your pistons.

Honestly Tokinbuller you like playing with the setting so much, you might be surprised how inexpensive dyno tuning can be IF (all caps for a reason) you come prepared. Most good bike shops should have a small dyno and exhaust sniffer (Wide band O2) so if you have 3 or 4 things to test (ONE at a time!) in an hour session you can get incremental gains the right and safe way. Your butt dyno might be able to feel 15 HP, but you're looking for 1 at a time.

Find a V-twin shop where the owner likes to drag race and you're set! Besides, it's pretty dang cool to do full throttle dyno runs