Thread: Fork Uppers

Fork Uppers

Hi all,
    Gave the bike a quick wash yesterday and noticed that there seemed be some kind of splooge remnant on my left fork upper in the area between the fork seal dust cover and the lower fork clamp. I tried all sorts of things to clean it off (soapy water, contact cleaner, WD-40) but nothing seems to work. It looks like there was some kind of liquid that splatted on there and it discolored the black fork a bit as it dried. Not a huge deal, just frustrating. Is the black on those fork uppers a powder coat from the factory? Paint? Just curious.
    Thanks!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    Hi all,
    Gave the bike a quick wash yesterday and noticed that there seemed be some kind of splooge remnant on my left fork upper in the area between the fork seal dust cover and the lower fork clamp. I tried all sorts of things to clean it off (soapy water, contact cleaner, WD-40) but nothing seems to work. It looks like there was some kind of liquid that splatted on there and it discolored the black fork a bit as it dried. Not a huge deal, just frustrating. Is the black on those fork uppers a powder coat from the factory? Paint? Just curious.
    Thanks!
    james i believe it's anodized. imagine googling "how to clean black anodized surface" might reveal a solution????

Thanks, John. In the searching I've done, anodized aluminum seems pretty impervious to chemicals besides harsh acids, bases, and salts. They say that a mildly abrasive kitchen scrub brush and mild soap can clean up anodized aluminum. I'm a bit hesitant to use something mechanically abrasive on there. Anyway, it's just strange that these blotchy spots appeared on there. Maybe some kind of chemical from a passing truck or something. Glad it didn't hit anything else, I guess.

Inactive
    sure thing james. two of my buells are the dark framed models. though it's a painted surface both have subtle but annoying little blotches on some areas as well. never figured out how they got there or how to remove them. let me know how you make out with the tubes. just confirmed what i mentioned earlier: they are anodized.