Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today' dilemma ..XB9 or 12??

Today' dilemma ..XB9 or 12??

Hi guys,

another think about the buell planet.
    What is the better choice 9 or 12,I'have read about the 2 engine,same bore with a different stroke in the 12.
    The engine of the 9 is a "square" engine,maybe is to linear about torque,instead of the engine on the 12 .

I don't need a bike with a top speed,in my garage is sitting my Kawasaki for the track.
    I like the buell engine noise and I want to buy just for cruise.

How many owner here have switched from 9 to 12 and why?

Your opinion are appreciated.

Inactive
    differences as follows:
    219cc between the 9 and the 12 models. 9 model is 984cc/12 model is 1203cc
    displacement increase achieved via stroke increase as you mentioned
    9 is geared "lower" than the 12. that is achieved via the primary front sprocket assembly. the 9 is a 34 tooth count and the 12 is a 38 tooth count.
    all 9's and 12's have the same front pulley and rear pulley tooth counts wtih exception of very early model years.
    all XB models have a 5 speed trans. in retrospect 5th gear should have been overdriven...or better yet a 6 speed transmission.
    the gearing between the 9 and 12 models equates to the following speeds and rev counts in US measurements:
    at 4000rpm in top gear a 12 is traveling approx. 80 miles per hour/a 9 is traveling at approx. 72mph.
    the the stock 12 has the factory power valve exhaust system. the 9 does not.
    i have owned every buell XB model ever produced at one time or another and in both engine sizes. still to this day my favorite "over-niter" XB is the ulysses. they are all 12 models. my favorite day-tripper is a 9 cityX.
    here in most parts of america 75mph is an acceptable large highway cruising speed. a 12 motor feels very comfortable at that speed...a 9 motor is somewhat disconcerting in that it feels and sounds busy....as if it may come apart. i can assure you it will not. how do i know this? relatively low piston foot speed per mile. here's the formula: Piston Speedfpm = stroke x rpm ÷ 6

my personal preference is the 9. you really need to "pull the trigger" on a buell purchase over there before the opportunity passes you by.

Wow ! Great explanation !
    I really appreciate !

That was awesome Lunatic. Very helpful!

The 9 and the 12 are surprisingly similar as the primary gearing makes up for the displacement difference. I would suggest a 9 for the city and a 12 for the country. So.... get both!

Inactive
    my pleasure. you should consider having one imported to sicily. nice low mileage buells are still available here on the east coast of america and prices fairly reasonable. just sold a 1-owner 2000 mile all original absolutely flawless late 2007 XB12 Scg model for $4900. that gives you a feel for US east coast pricing and fair market values.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    That was awesome Lunatic. Very helpful!

The 9 and the 12 are surprisingly similar as the primary gearing makes up for the displacement difference. I would suggest a 9 for the city and a 12 for the country. So.... get both!
    thanks for that shaughn.

As always, John nailed it! badass.gif Bigger is better ! More power! IMHO.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-13-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Banned
    12 is better. Not only because of no replacement for displacement, not only because of it has better sound and more power, but also because of it looks better due to bigger pipes diameter. 9 has tiny pipes.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-13-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    my pleasure. you should consider having one imported to sicily. nice low mileage buells are still available here on the east coast of america and prices fairly reasonable. just sold a 1-owner 2000 mile all original absolutely flawless late 2007 XB12 Scg model for $4900. that gives you a feel for US east coast pricing and fair market values.
    For us is not really easy ($$$) import from the States.
    Your price is absolutely reasonable,but you need to add the shipping cost,the cost of the customs,and if you aren't still happy 33% of starting price .(it's not a joke)

For this reason I have bought my Corvette C3 in Germany,less expansive !!!
    In Sicily we have Sigonella base,for the soldier the shipping cost is some bucks instead of a italian citizen.

The best way is buy one in place. !

Le vostre tasse sono pazzesche....

Last edited by vicenzajay; 10-13-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast