Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future of buells and possible problems...

Future of buells and possible problems...

So, was about to pull the trigger on another buell. Briefly spoke with my mechanic (who does all the intricate **** I can't do) and his opinion is that it's only a matter of time before components (especially) the whole electrical/computer system is unfixable or unable to be serviced. I didn't quite follow his train of thought since all my other bikes have carbs and are as old as i am....any thoughts or advice???

With companies like IDS(I think that's the one that's still producing and programming ECMs) making ECMs and programs like ECMspy, ECMdriod, and tunerpro readily available; I don't follow your mechanics train of thought.

Your mechanic sounds like he's really good with a wrench but not as well versed with Buell tuning software. I kind of resemble this sort of mechanic but I don't think ECM or electronics support is waning.

Only component I know that is becoming very difficult to find is the IAC valve for 2008 and up models, however, I believe some Buellers have reported finding viable cross reference parts from the automotive world.
    I'm not 100% on the IAC thing so don't quote me on that.

BTW just noticed this is in the trouble shooting section of the forum. General motorcycle chat would probably be a better spot for this discussion.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 10-14-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    With companies like IDS(I think that's the one that's still producing and programming ECMs) making ECMs and programs like ECMspy, ECMdriod, and tunerpro readily available; I don't follow your mechanics train of thought.

Your mechanic sounds like he's really good with a wrench but not as well versed with Buell tuning software. I kind of resemble this sort of mechanic but I don't think ECM or electronics support if waning.

Only component I know that is becoming very difficult to find is the IAC valve for 2008 and up models, however, I believe some Buellers have reported finding viable cross reference parts from the automotive world.
    I'm not 100% on the IAC thing so don't quote me on that.

BTW just noticed this is in the trouble shooting section of the forum. General motorcycle chat would probably be a better spot for this discussion.
    I like your tool mans thoughts , have him keep spreading the word , And that will leave more Buells for all of us who know better. JMHO.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk1976 View Post
    So, was about to pull the trigger on another buell. Briefly spoke with my mechanic (who does all the intricate **** I can't do) and his opinion is that it's only a matter of time before components (especially) the whole electrical/computer system is unfixable or unable to be serviced. I didn't quite follow his train of thought since all my other bikes have carbs and are as old as i am....any thoughts or advice???
    bull****.jpg

^^^^best forum response EVER!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    ^^^^best forum response EVER!
    coming from you carlos who has posted up some INCREDIBLE responses on here thru the years....that means the world to me.

I and, a good friend of mine, agree ! Thanks to the soon to be out dated members on this board, I made the mistake of buying for a friend ( who is paying me back, unless he reads this post ) a 2007 XB12 STT from the original owner with 1800 miles on it, delivered yesterday, friend is picking it up tomorrow.

Please, keep spreading this and, I do not think this is fake news !

I was going to buy a Chevy truck, but I don't think I can find a headlight for it in 10 years

It is possible. As much as many beloved members on here think, the electronics could be phased out.....and none of them know how to program im sure....but....as long as we keep welcoming members and not blasting them for questions all will right itself....or i can have my buddy do it...lol

I'm sorry if my response seemed mean. It wasn't meant that way. We get these threads all the time, I think it's a silly thought to have about a fun toy. No one should buy any motorcycle as an investment.

First. You won't own this new-to-you Buell in 20 years. Right now, you think you will. But you won't. You're the anomaly if you own one bike for that long. I'm sure someone will pipe up and say they did, but it's rare. Did you own anything for that long? Were parts an issue? It's almost 8 years since the last Buell left the factory and you can still find tons for sale for cheap! with 4000 miles or less.

Second. There were plenty made... so used parts. Not Honda plenty... but plenty.

Third. None of the consumables are Buell proprietary parts. Oil? Air filter? Tires? Bearings? Put 90K miles on it and relax.

Fourth. The list of Buell proprietary parts is actually very small. Frame, swing arm, wheels, plastics, things like that. "Electronics"?? Not on a Buell. They are universal switches, relays, wires and a rudimentary ECM that has proven to be solid state dependable.

Fifth. Think worst case scenario, whatever you like... off a cliff, engine seized up, whatever. Your insurance will pay, or not. Buy another one and sell off the old parts.

No matter what, you have to remember that its a motorcycle. It's not a family car, not an 'investment', and it's not the Mona Lisa. It's a passionate decision for a fun toy. Buy it! Use it! and let the smiles you have in your helmet decide if you made the right choice.

Last edited by Cooter; 10-15-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast