Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough first gear rolling

Rough first gear rolling

If I am slow speed rolling 5-10mph, off the clutch, off the throttle in first gear the XB12 bucks and lunges as we decel, looking to stall out. Normal and keeping working out my left forearm or should I be looking for an adjustment somewhere?

You know the drill, year, model, Mods, recent repairs, etc.
    Now the way you explain it, your rolling along at 5-10 mph in first, no throttle and It's bucking and lunging and about to stall, right ?

Inactive
    normal. never read up on these motors?
    it's called high compression....tight squish bands....4 cams with alot of over-lap and duration.....no fuel on decel.
    these XB motors particularly the 12 hate low revs. period. thought you'd know that by now?

If your bike wasn't having issues rolling at 5-10mph with zero clutch input I'd have to question your idle adjustment!
    Clutch action is a must when trying to perform slow speed maneuvers on ANY motorcycle!
    Also, when at speeds below 10mph make sure you're using the clutch and back brake, especially when turning! Otherwise you'll find yourself dumping your bike on the side that your wheel is pointed!

Wow, this thread makes me think this a new riders thread!
    Grego! Come on man! You know all this!

Banned
    After chain conversion my motorcycle minimal speed is 15 mph

Here ya go Grego

You know what, I'm really glad he asked this question. While I haven't had any real problems, I have noticed I really have to blast out with the SS when initially pulling out and turning the handlebars in comparison to my Triumph, it's a little better with the Ully. At least now I know it's not me !

I could see where riding around NYC would cause your clutch hand to really build up.
    Last edited by njloco; 10-17-2017 at 01:16 AM.

It's an honest question, just poking a bit of fun

All of the high torque cable clutched bikes are a PITA to feather. Just a matter of physics. The EBR is worse... way worse. That hydraulic clutch tries to combat the absolutely mandatory super heavy clutch springs to no avail.

At low RPM/Low speed, just pull the lever in a bit to let the clutch slip, or pop it in neutral if you're coming to a stop.

When I did the breather reroute it helped a bit getting off the line gently, and made it feel like it could be babied rather than having to apply a good throttle. Also, call me crazy, but when I added a bit of fuel, and squared my idle, it runs really smooth off the line even at low speeds. It can hover right around 2k kinda smooth.

But on deceleration, I pull the clutch when approaching 2k rpms always lol. No if ands or but's about it.

coming from carbed harley's and buells I have a tendency to rev the engine up a bit at low speeds and feather the clutch from habit. my old ironhead(especially) and even the cyclone were pretty easy to stall and if one stalls out a raked out chopper mid slow speed turn you're goin to fall for sure!! So i say give 'er a bit of throttle to get it up off idle and feather the clutch a bit. Sucks in traffic for sure though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast