Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: not running smooth

not running smooth

ok guys...got an 04 XB12R...ive done breather reroute...has a D&D exhaust, race map, K&N air filter, DCPR9EIX Iridium spark plugs, new spark plug wires.

this bike has always had a stutter problem if you would call it that. anything under 2500 rpms...but only when keeping a steady speed or BARELY accelerating (like an 1/8" throttle or less)...if you are accelerating any more than that it doesnt do it. and it only does it under load, wont do it just sitting on the kickstand. it almost feels like someone has a rope tied to the back of the bike and is tugging on it is the best way to describe it. ive checked for intake seal leaks as well...but nothing i do seems to fix this. no error codes ever, ive tried moving the ground coming off the battery as some suggested. no luck. AFV after a few months only went to 104 so the race map isnt the issue. ive also checked the static timing.

ive just got the bike back together after a drunk driver totalled it out when sitting in front of my house. it has approximately 25k miles on it. just looking for futher suggestions. i appreciate any help you guys can give me.

P.S. i also have an 03 XB9R and it has none of these issues

I would first triple check the intake seals for leaking, and check the airhorn gasket at the airbox baseplate (since you said it was just re-built).

The static timing could be fine but the advance curve may be lacking (check with ECMDroid and/or your 'race' program).

Could just be lean in that spot. The AFV is a global correction and would't usually show that. Instead of doing the right thing and putting a Wide band O2 sensor on it, you could go to live data on ECMDroid and datalog the stock NB O2 voltages to see if its lean there.

What about that grounding one bolt of the coil hold down to the negative battery terminal ?

Quote Originally Posted by pantstain View Post
    ok guys...got an 04 XB12R... bike has always had a stutter problem if you would call it that. anything under 2500 rpms...but only when keeping a steady speed or BARELY accelerating (like an 1/8" throttle or less)...if you are accelerating any more than that it doesn't do it. and it only does it under load, wont do it just sitting on the kickstand.
    Certain RPM's with just the right vibration was working a TPS wire into the inside of the frame recently producing a similar intermittent irritation. It wasn't a consistent enough electrical short to trip a code right off but made the bike run poorly as you are experiencing. It eventually did throw a TPS short to ground code or I never would have found it. A long shot but you might check any and all wiring running along the inside of the fuel tank for chafing while your looking at everything else. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Eddy rides Buell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inactive
    P.S. i also have an 03 XB9R and it has none of these issues

the 9's never do....the 12's almost always do.
    double check your work since you've had this bike apart/dismantled for repairs.
    you're describing a ground and fueling issue common to the 12 models.
    check that the large rubber airhorn that connects the TB to the airbox base plate is correctly installed
    check your main ground wire which is the large braided wire under the airbox baseplate attached to the dog bone mount.
    run a dedicated ground wire from rear coil mounting bolt to negative battery cable frame attachment point. covered on here dozens of times by me.
    you might also have a fuel pump getting lazy and headed towards death row.

alright i went through and double checked any exposed wires i could get to short of rotating the motor to take off the whole wiring harness and inspect each wire. i didnt find anything damaged or pinched anywhere. i added the ground from the real coil mount point to the negative battery cable frame attachment point as a couple of you mentioned. I check the rubber air horn for proper installation and of course removed the bottom of the airbox to do the negative wire and reinstalled that and double checked it was properly on the bottom of the airbox. Also checked the braided wire under the airbox and everything was fine there.

I took it out for just a couple minutes as thats all i had time for....it seemed to be better somewhat but such a short ride it is hard to tell...i will take it for a longer ride as soon as ai can and let you know what i find out

just a question....could it be the 02 sensor? im sure it is original so has 25k miles on it

Ok here's my 'not running smooth' story since we're on a snipe hunt. I once serviced the K&N filter with the proper oil but I must have read the instruction incorrectly. Put a bead of oil on every pleat and let it wick in. WAY TOO MUCH! buy the spray. Anyway she choked and sputtered until it drained off into the base plate. What a mess, never do that. Get rid of those iridiums if you gaped them because you MIGHT have broke off the tiny miniscule iridium tip. There you go, two more things that were 'not so smooth' on my part I won't do again
    Last edited by midway; 10-19-2017 at 02:30 AM.

I didn't gap them they looked spot on when I put them in, and it happened with the old plugs too. Also haven't oiled the filter as it's new and hasn't needed done yet.

Like I said before it's perfect when accelerating or a constant speed over 2500 rpms...it's just at an even speed under 2500 rpms that it does it
    Last edited by pantstain; 10-19-2017 at 02:35 PM.

My 2cents:
    1-Insure your issue happens in EVERY gear.
    2-At 25k, sounds like a good time to pull the fuel pump and change out the fuel filter, fuel sock and inspect fuel pump wiring while you're at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast