Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiccup / stutter / misfire / intake backfire

Hiccup / stutter / misfire / intake backfire

I've been researching this topic for years, and I'm ready to give up. When the 07 Uly isn't 100% up to operating temp, and it's cold outside, I have a stutter, misfire, hiccup, whatever you want to call it. I'm ready to sell it and get a different bike. It's unsafe. I've done, TPS resets, heated O2 sensor, intake seals, plugs, wires, coil. Grounds and voltage are both good. Compression is good in both cyl. Happens on race and stock ECM. Once the bike is up to operating temp, or it's above 65F, this issue NEVER happens. Any other ideas?

How many miles on the clock?
    Have you ever ran cleaners in the fuel for your injectors ?
    Did you test your intake seals and replace them?
    How did you test them ?
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-18-2017 at 09:58 PM.

It's done it since I've gotten it 2 yrs ago at 7250mi. 10k now. Ran injector cleaner through it when I bought it. No change.

When you changed the plugs what did they look like ? Lean / rich ?? both the same? front and rear ?

Inactive
    the last ulysses i owned was a late 2009 that was still a "single O2 sensor" model. had precisely the same incredibly annoying cold temp low speed herky-jerky misfire PITA rideability issues you just described. i tried 1 tps reset...did breather re-route...iridium NGK plugs...dedicated ground wire from coil mounting bolt to negative cable frame point...the list was endless. guess what solved it once and for all: one of those stupid little inexpensive tuning chips that plugged in between the O2 sensor and main harness purchased as a last resort because of the insufferable rideability. sadly i don't recall where i purchased it or the brand but the bike ran flawlessly from that point on.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-18-2017 at 10:08 PM.

I was thinking lean as well. You mentioned 'race' ECM, but I'd bet she's just a little lean. Try a better tune.

I'll have to pull them again and check. Thanks for the input.

When you pull them do it twice while it running bad , and again when its running good. And what ECM at the time , What tune is the race ecm if you have that in the bike.

The issue with that is it only happens when cruising at 2k-3500 rpm for like 2 minutes. By the time I got it back home, it would be running fine. Both stock and race ECM's are factory as far as I know. I messed with my tune a lot when I had my 05 XB9SX years ago and screwed it up a lot. Eventually had to have xopti fix it. Now that I can't use ecmspy, I don't even know where to go. Tried to figure it out again last year, but gave up. I just want a bike I don't have to jack with anymore, but love my Uly setup.

Inactive
    Both stock and race ECM's are factory as far as I know. I messed with my tune a lot when I had my 05 XB9SX years ago and screwed it up a lot.

betting they're not. therein lies your problem.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast