Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hiccup / stutter / misfire / intake backfire

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Typically those are a simple 3¢ resistor to lower the o2 signal voltage and trick the ECM into making the entire fuel map an untested and unregulated amount richer.

I'm glad your impression is that it worked for you, but I would highly recommend not doing that.
    It's far more than a three cent resistor and far more than an impression. Educate yourself, research its use on Harleys and BMWs. Evidence of its effectiveness is shown in the AFV values responding to the level of enrichment selected. The engine running smoother with an increase in responsivenes is the ultimate test as far as I'm concerned. Regulation is achieved through it's adjustability.

The OP (and others) should not discount this as a possible solution... I'm glad I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Perform intake leakage test.
    Worth doing but my experience was that testing with propane/carb cleaner was not bulletproof. Mine tested good but changing the seals anyway made a big improvement. I think seal leakage can vary depending on heat and vibration levels changing while riding. Not necessarily the same levels seen at idle in the shop. Going forward I'll be changing them as routine maintenance every three years or so...

Inactive
    giarcg: THAT is precisely the device i was referring to earlier. and i remember the source now. late summer of 2014 purchased some lightly used and new XB parts from a former buell owner in northeast PA via craigslist. in the pile was this nightrider.com tuning device. the guy had planned on installing it on his XB12 but never did. was NIB and tempting to me as it received glowing endorsements via several net sites. as previously mentioned was both irritatated and frustrated with the rideability issues of my late 2009 Uly to the point of just unloading it and moving on. note that i did NOT "tune" my stock ecm due to lack of software and knowledge. the installation of THAT device on THAT particular XB was a remarkable success. the ease of installation and rideability improvement along with resolution of nagging problems was outstanding. i will mention that the CEL would activate at every cold start-up but as soon as system went into closed-loop CEL extinguished. no historic fault codes ever recorded. and that was my experience with said device.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-03-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    giarcg: THAT is precisely the device i was referring to earlier.
    I researched this gizmo quite a bit before buying for two of my BMW oil heads and there is a ton of excellent info from informed people in the BMW forums. Its referred to as a lambda shift device and to me the theory makes perfect sense. Bottom line is it works, it gets the mixture off the lean side and engines respond. I only wish I thought of trying it sooner and not having to put up with a year of frustration.

Ok, seriously. I've done 4 logs and 3 VEAnalyze for new maps and every time it makes it worse. Every time, it wants to remove fuel from the area where it's having issues.

Two questions from someone who is totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff.
    1- how does one know which one to buy ?
    2- from what I read, all this does is change the resistance signal to the ECM ?
    If this later question is true, why not just figure out what the resistance amount is and put in a slightly variable resistor in that range ? Like I said I am totally ignorant about this stuff but, this is what we did on our diesel forum for the EGR along with a blocker plate.

Quote Originally Posted by moose09876 View Post
    Ok, seriously. I've done 4 logs and 3 VEAnalyze for new maps and every time it makes it worse. Every time, it wants to remove fuel from the area where it's having issues.
    1. What is your AFV?
    2. To summarize, when the bike idles or is at low speed when cold, then you have runability problems?
    3. What kind of fuel are you using?
    4. Which ECM version do you have? (Is your bike DDFI3?)

Let me know! My problems with my bike have led me through a lot of troubleshooting that may be helpful to you.

njloco - Not clear to me if you're inquiring about the AF-Xied or not. If so I suggest you spend some time researching it and read what people far more knowledgeable than I have to say about it.

Here is a place to start: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...or-bmw.749080/

Quote Originally Posted by gdisaac07 View Post
    1. What is your AFV?
    2. To summarize, when the bike idles or is at low speed when cold, then you have runability problems?
      The misfire / stutter happens between 1500 and 3000 rpm 98% of the time. Once it hits 3k, runs perfectly.
    3. What kind of fuel are you using?
      always 93 octane
    4. Which ECM version do you have? (Is your bike DDFI3?)
      BUEGB - DDFI2
    Thanks

Giarcg: Like I said, I'm glad it worked for you, and I'm sure it could work for others with your exact rideability issue. Without proper diagnosis, you were lucky that your bike needed to be globally enriched to make your rideability better. Congrats

But I caution you, there are way too many variables in different motorcycles and tuning to assume its a magic fix for everyone. "Lambda shift" is salesman speak for resistor. It uses a resistor to lower the voltage signal from the O2 sensor to the ECM, thereby 'shifting the Lambda' the ECM sees. Adjustable resistor or not, thats what it is. If your "gizmo" [your words] only hooks up to the O2, thats all it can be. No magic stick in there Harry P. You can do the same thing your gizmo does a bit more precisely by changing the O2 values with ECMDroid, ECMSpy, or TunerPro, but I wouldn't recommend that for Moose either for the same reasons.

That's why I would hesitate blanket recommending you gizmo to everyone who has any kind of rideability issue.

Moose: We don't even know if you have a tuning issue. We know you have a rideability issue. Sure it could be caused by tuning, but the ECM won't change tuning without a reason (and you have the same exact issue with both ECM's...) The ECM uses sensors to dictate it's output. It's much more likely there is a sensor issue causing the ECM to receive incorrect info, or a mechanical issue such as intake leak (common on a Buell), dirty injectors, weak fuel pump, etc.

It's frustrating to have a bike not run well, and tuning can be tricky. So lets try to diagnose your bike to fix it. Otherwise you are just shooting cash into the dark to see what happens. Maybe you get lucky? Heck, maybe you need to globally enrich the map just like that magic gizmo does BUT... your much richer 'race ECM' doesn't solve your rideability issue so I highly doubt thats what you need? If you still want to guess and see if that thing works of you, maybe he'll ship it to you to try out?

Before you send your datalog into VE Analizer, take a close look at it. What is the ECM seeing when it runs poorly? What does your O2 read in closed loop then? any sensors with erratic signals? CPS? TPS? You've got the tools already, lets use them

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast