Thread: New Throttle cables adjustment

New Throttle cables adjustment

Just installed new throttle cables last night. Seems like the pull cable is too long and the push cable is too short. They did adjust for a good throttle operation but the push cable is full slack and the pull cable is full tension to get it there. Is the cable bracket on the throttle body adjustable? seems like it needs to be moved away from the tb a few mm's? At the TB the cable bracket there has this retaining clip that goes over the bracket and cables and it appears that it only fits if the cable housings are extended away from the TB?

Inactive
    did you compare the new cables with the old original ones to be certain you bought and installed the correct ones? uly cables for example considerably longer. the factory didn't allow for much adjustment on the cables....just the threaded barrels at the handlebar housing end. sounds hokey but when i run into an xb with sloppy length but serviceable cables i lube them well and just massage the cable bracket on the TB to remove a bit of slack. you can move that bracket a tad and bend it slightly to accomplish this.

Thank You kind sir! Just what I thought. the bracket is just mm's off. Will move the bracket out a little. As well as possibly drill out the push cable clip so I can get more slack on the push cable if needed. Yes i compared both new cables to the old cables and they are pretty darn close, of course the push cable was snapped probably due to not having enough slack over the 8 years of it's life. Thanks again!

Hi Tbone. I had some issues (maybe a little different) on my XB12Ss getting the throttle cables to not bind. Are you following the procedure in the service manual? I definitely had to do some adjustments using the nuts down by that retaining clip. Of course, things could be different on a Uly and John's got more experience than me. Good luck with it!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Thank You kind sir! Just what I thought. the bracket is just mm's off. Will move the bracket out a little. As well as possibly drill out the push cable clip so I can get more slack on the push cable if needed. Yes i compared both new cables to the old cables and they are pretty darn close, of course the push cable was snapped probably due to not having enough slack over the 8 years of it's life. Thanks again!

always my pleasure! the pusher cable is one of those DOT safety-mandated PITA gizmos from the 70's. hate them. as i mentioned earlier between the cable mount bracket fasteners and the cable ends themselves you can "massage" those things enough to get the job done. PS-lube the clutch cable if you can while you're doing your work. you'll be amazed at the difference in lever pull when done properly.

Ok, third time is a charm. The second attempt I tried to message the bracket a mm out, it did give more cable tension but it was not as smooth. So I returned the bracket it its original position and maxed out the tension on both cables at the bracket, the retaining clip goes on most easy this way. Then all I had to do is slightly tension the pull cable at the bar controls and called the job done. This is what I found to be the smoothest operation of the throttle. Couple observations after doing this 3 times:
    1. It is much easier to connect/disconnect the cables at the throttle body Cam after they are disconnected at the throttle first. So Naturally it is also easier to connect cables at the throttle when they are already connected to the throttle body Cam first.
    2. The lock down nuts at the controls rub against each other and act like gears and turn on each other when they line up, or they can both lock up if you lock down one of them down. I noticed some flat spots on the old cable lock nuts and now I know they probably grinded down on each other when someone adjusted them alot.
    3. The spring tension on the throttle is not super strong, so make everything work as smooth as possible. An advantage is less wrist fatigue with good throttle operation.
    Yes you busted me Submax, It has been a while since I have read the procedure to adjust the cables, let alone read the procedure to replace them, so the manual is just setting on the shelf while I am doing all of this.