Thread: ISO: Time-Sert Kit (swing arm drain hole threads shot)

ISO: Time-Sert Kit (swing arm drain hole threads shot)

Hey all, so in doing the oil change on my new (to me) Uly in prep for winter storage, I removed the drain plug to find a nice coating of aluminum shavings all over it. The PO must've over-torqued it and now the threads are pretty chewed out... Didn't seem to leak in the last several months of riding but I think I'd rather fix it for peace of mind.

So... anyone have a Time-Sert kit they used once and no longer need? Seems like it's a one-time use sort of deal for this fix, so the $115 price is a bit steep.

On the other hand, if I am to buy one, anyone interested in helping spread out the cost (sharing is caring!)? I'm located near Minneapolis, MN in case anyone else happens to run across this issue, always happy to help a fellow Bueller out.

There's plenty of threads already on the time-sert vs. heli-coil vs. bigger drain plug and re-thread debate, so let's keep that out of here for clarity

I may have a solution for you.

Go on...?

I did end up picking up a kit off Amazon, so I'll probably just use it tonight. There's a couple good days left here in MN before the bikes get sheathed for the season... so I'd just assume tear around on the Uly a couple more times to make sure the fix sticks...

That being said, if anyone else reads this thread in need of a time-sert kit, feel free to reach out. Would be happy to help another rider fix a common issue for a reasonable price... I just have a "problem" with buying tools that I don't really need. Love to add to the garage, whether it be tools... bikes... cars.....

I did the same thing and got back a kit with a trashed tap.

Long story but i’m past it now. I put the tap kit in a box when I moved and forgot about it until the other day. I need to see if I can save the tap...somehow?

Yikes... that's too bad. Would hope people have the accountability to fess up to/compensate you for such things, but I guess not much really surprises me anymore... Good luck on saving the tap, I'm not sure how exactly you would go about that?

Reminds me of one of the old houses I used to live in (bunch of single guys)... got a text from a roommate: "Hey, is there a key for your toolbox, it's locked?" ...my response: "Yup, it's in my pocket, which means it's working..."

Quote Originally Posted by XB12MN View Post
    Yikes... that's too bad. Would hope people have the accountability to fess up to/compensate you for such things, but I guess not much really surprises me anymore... Good luck on saving the tap, I'm not sure how exactly you would go about that?

Reminds me of one of the old houses I used to live in (bunch of single guys)... got a text from a roommate: "Hey, is there a key for your toolbox, it's locked?" ...my response: "Yup, it's in my pocket, which means it's working..."
    Yeah, its resolved. Still kind of soured by it, being that had I had not looked at the kit before putting it away, I would have never known what happened.

The tap is just messed up at the shaft where it interfaces with the tool. The last guys tap handle wouldnt open up enough to accept the square interface. I'm probably just going to chop the end off and manually grind in new, correct (cough cough) flats. Luckily, the aluminum on the swingarm is soft and it should be fine.

Dang, if I would have joined earlier..... I would have just sent you mine to use. LOL