Thread: New guy with some tuning issues....or something?

New guy with some tuning issues....or something?

Hey guys,

Didn't see an introduction section, so just gonna jump into the meats and potatoes....

I have an 09 XB12SS has a few mods including breather reroute, free spirits forward facing exhaust, open air box mod, and race ecm.

Recently I have been having issues like some with it "bucking" per say while at a constant rpm. However I really bog when I try to open the throttle quickly. It will get to full throttle no issue but I have to turn it like 3/4 for it to stay consistent through the rpm range. However sometimes it will run up no issues at all. Also after riding for a while say 10 plus miles...I can get to stop light and the bike will idle all over and sometimes even shut off.

I have a feeling it is running extremely lean is part of my issue but I haven't pulled my plugs to check yet. I have a buelltooth so I have tried a couple other small maps that would be similar to the free spirits exhaust and the open air box.

Just beginning to be stumped. Wondering if I am just getting WAYYYY to much air. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with her been busy with work, and building a supermoto.

Anyways,
    Thanks guys/gals

Are you saying the bike has a race ECM or you've loaded a race map on the ECM?
    Did you start attempting to load maps before or after you started having issues?
    Have you performed a TPS reset? The throttle related issues sound like a TPS issue.
    Does the check engine light come on?
    Before you mess with the mapping anymore I would suggest you insure the battery is in top shape, check all ground connections and perform an intake seal leak test.

As Chicknstripn has said above all very good,^^^^^^, I would start with checking Batt connections and all grounds, bad grounds do a lot of werd stuff as you are experiencing.

Concur - battery connection, grounds (double check the ground connection on the lower triple tree). I would also do a TPS reset (super easy with your 2009).

Your idle issues also suggest an intake seal inspection might be in order?

I'd second what everyone is saying. Quit messing with the tune immediately and use the Buelltooth and ECMDroid you have to diagnose whats going on first before you create more issues.

Check your battery for tight connections
    Check your battery and charging system. 12.5V at rest, 9.6 or more when cranking, 13.5-14.7 running at 2500RPM
    Check all the ground leads (you'll have to remove them to look for corrosion)
    Check your AFV after a long ride. The computer uses that to change how rich or lean the map is. It will tell you if the bike is rich or lean. Setting it "back to 100" will only eliminate the clue and start the whole process again.
    Check for intake leaks by spraying carb cleaner right at the gaskets when idling.
    It also could be a weak or clogged fuel pump. We'll get to that.
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-10-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Sorry I was a little vague, I typed this all out the first time and it didn't go through which resulted in retyping it.

SOOO to answer a few questions here.

The ECM is standard race ECM. I have a stocker also. Battery connections are tight. I will try and test the battery/charging system later today. As well as the grounds. My AFV after a long ride....the last time I checked was around 100% front cylinder and upper 80% rear...? (again that is off memory I will check after next ride). Intake leaks show no sign of up or down rpm change when sprayed with carb cleaner. And my fuel pump was just replaced. I actually thought about the grounds too just haven't had the time just yet.

And plenty of TPS resets along the way...

No CEL at all.....

Banned
    TPS reset won't help if TPS is bad.

Ok, don't skimp on checking the grounds. All of them. You should even add one to the mounting bolt of your coil. It has solved many weird drivability issues like yours.

A 2009 shouldn't have a front O2? Check to see if you actually have one. Looks like this on the right side:
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...838/482519.jpg
    Use ECMDroid to see if "Front O2 enabled" is checked. Otherwise it should be greyed out on the AFV page and doesn't do anything.

The rear AFV at 80 means the ECM is trying to pull 20% of fuel out of the map. Thats a lot, and means its very rich and trying to compensate.
    Hows you air filter? Clogged? A K&N thats saturated with too much oil will do this. Since you were just in your airbox, double check the airhorn gasket in the airbox baseplate is seated perfectly (It takes a small flathead screw driver to do it easily).

You can also check all of your sensors quickly with ECMDroid on the Live Data page. That way you won't blindly throw money at parts you may not need.

Check your TPS reading, also check your O2 reading to make sure it's not old and slow.

I second checking the intake snorkel. When not installs correctly it will choke the engine.
    Did you save the original map from the race ECM?

Also... ...can you recall when this first started happening? What repairs/mods were performed at that time?

Keep feeding us info and we'll figure this out. Even the most insignificant thing might mean something to someone that's experienced a similar issue.

When you're performing a TPS reset have your bike hooked up to Ecmdriod and check to see if the TPS value is actually changing. If not the issue could be the TPS.

Good luck

Yeah I will have to go on another ride and see what is going on there.

No obvious signs that this came from anything in particular, especially since it just randomly began after no correlation of work done. I was thinking grounds as well, especially with the bucking while cruising. I will look around and do some more testing research and HW as possible.

Thanks for the input so far friends.