Thread: New tires

New tires

Hey guys hello.

Iīm about to get both tires changed and Iīm looking for reasons not to have another set of Metzeler Z6

Actually I purchased this new-to-me Ulysses and it came with the Z6s from the previous owner. I am aware it is a tire from the beggining of the 2000s but I felt it so good on the bike...I rode wet and dry and have no complaints. Besides that itīs definetelly the cheapest tire available from top brands (Metzeler, Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone you name it).

The guy at the tire shop said "come on youīre not having this old fashioned tire go for a Tourance Next that matches the dual purpose of the Uly". Well he couldnīt argue what are truly the benefits of the Next to make it 60% more expensive than the Z6. The rear Z6 is something like $125 and the Next is $200.

Can you guys please give me some opinions? Why shouldnīt I go for another Z6? In February I`m going for a 7.000km (4.300 miles) round trip and I think any tire can survive this.

Inactive
    son... there are NO bad tires out there. let's see what we have here:
    1-your ulysses has metzlers on it now and you like how the bike handles and feels. check!
    2-metzlers available to you in your area and priced right. check!
    3-board member tire opinions about as valuable as oil opinions and FabioDriven tuning opinions. check!
    buy what you want.

RECALL ... Ironically this is the same tire I took a nail in July and plugged.
    Rob

Michelin North America, Inc., announced today a voluntary recall beginning Sept. 25, 2017 for 184 motorcycle tires, Michelin Pilot Power 3 in size 180/55ZR17 M/C (73W) Owners of these tires may contact Michelin at 1-866-324-2835
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 11-16-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Why are they recalling them ?
    I have the pilot road trail fours, op the Triumph explorer, great, I mean great tire ! I hope they don't have to recall those.

I found the Continental TKC 70's to be a great tire, maybe not cheap but I got closer to 12K miles with them, very good in rain, dry, and pretty good on hard and somewhat soft dirt.

Like lunaticfringe says go with what you like in your price range but, don't let your price range dictate how good you think the tire really is.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...1918-Tire-Poll

That's the forum poll for tires. Don't forget to vote.

Get what you like. Try Rocky Mountain ATV for the best pricing I've found anywhere.

mcaff,

I went with the Tourance Next last Spring on my Uly. Have put around 3500 miles on them so far. They still look good and for sure perform well. I have done some gravel and dirt but nothing extreme.

Definitely not knobbies so watch out for extreme off road. It is a "90%-10%" which means , I guess, that you have a 90% chance of wiping out on the worst 10%.

Mcaff,

I am hearing good things about the new Michelin Anakee Wild. If you are doing a high percentage of dirt and gravel I think it is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by optomist View Post
    Mcaff,

I am hearing good things about the new Michelin Anakee Wild. If you are doing a high percentage of dirt and gravel I think it is the way to go.
    Forget off roading the Buell! lol..... If you like the way your forks, seals and mounts work now, leave the off roading to the bikes built for it! Alittle light gravel/dirt road with some undulations....alright, but anything more and you are just asking for it.
    Last edited by GregoXB; 11-17-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Anyone running Dunlop Roadmart 3's or 2's on their Uly?