Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast Custom Intake questions

Blast Custom Intake questions

Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to get rid of the stock airbox/filter and install a custom intake and filter. Something along the lines of this:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...6.jpg~original

I did do a search first, and most (if not all) of the threads about it reference dead links or all their photos are gone due to photobucket.

I'm trying to do this as cheaply as I can. What is an easy/cheap tried and true option for just running a filter a little down and out of the way of my leg and getting rid of the stock air box? T

Thanks

I would have to bet that one for a sportster carb would fit. I know this one's kind of gaudy looking...https://www.google.com/search?q=spor...c7MC7kQgjYIlgQ

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    I would have to bet that one for a sportster carb would fit. I know this one's kind of gaudy looking...https://www.google.com/search?q=spor...c7MC7kQgjYIlgQ
    Thanks. I'll look into that. I've been trying to get ahold of the blast experts. but no luck so far. Trying to find who sells a velocity stack for the blast now that ASB has closed down.

Thumpe's setup (check over on Buellridersonline.com) is really the best option. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive either. And it works...the issue with the Blast's carb is supporting it when you delete the stock airbox setup. Thumpe's 'superboot' solves that issue for his application while allowing for a true stage 1 solution.

I know that sounds like an advertisement - it's not. I've had a Blast for years and years...and I've tried numerous setups and solutions.

By the way, any airbox delete is going to require a re-jetting - to at least a 45 pilot (46 better in most cases) and a 175 main jet (not to mention a needle shim). Thumpe has the hardware for all this at*very inexpensive prices.

My Blast:

VT Blast 1.jpg

Just looked at your picture in the initial post - that *is* Thumpe's (i.e. Dan Whalen's) setup...

Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    Thumpe's setup (check over on Buellridersonline.com) is really the best option. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive either. And it works...the issue with the Blast's carb is supporting it when you delete the stock airbox setup. Thumpe's 'superboot' solves that issue for his application while allowing for a true stage 1 solution.

I know that sounds like an advertisement - it's not. I've had a Blast for years and years...and I've tried numerous setups and solutions.

By the way, any airbox delete is going to require a re-jetting - to at least a 45 pilot (46 better in most cases) and a 175 main jet (not to mention a needle shim). Thumpe has the hardware for all this at*very inexpensive prices.

My Blast:

VT Blast 1.jpg
    So I have a superboot already. I saw Thumpe's intake, it looks good, but more than I was wanting to spend. Got this bike for crazy cheap and have fixed it up on the cheap, so I'd like to keep it that way. Would a sportster intake work since it's pretty much the same carb?

If you have the superboot, I would get a velocity stack and outerwears filter and call it a day. You'll need to run a t-fitting onto the breather hose and vent it to ground (or to a small filter setup).

Over on Buellridersonline.com, there are *loads of Blast folks who will help. In addition, I recommend Badweb (badweatherbikers) for another Blast resource.

The velocity stack/filter combo will probably still be $70 or so - but that with some tubing is still money ahead. If you have a superboot, you should be fine supporting the carb. There are, however, some good tutorials on mounting some supporting springs out there as well.

To better answer your question, though, I wouldn't go the sportster intake route myself...but that's just me.

So how about this - http://speeddealercustoms.com/produc...y-stack-black/

With: Outerwears filter 12-1267-01 Black" & a 4" hose clamp

That's a less than $100 solution that's a direct bolt on....

Here's the filter (I think...give them a call): http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=199700
    Last edited by vicenzajay; 12-05-2017 at 02:03 AM.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to do. However I can't find a velocity stack anywhere since all the old links are to ASB (which has been shut down)/ Any idea where I can get a velocity stack that will fit now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast