Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new xb9sx owner intro and town riding tips?

It sounds like you've got it all figured out

Yep, learned that lesson... Swap plugs and don't forget to give her a quick crank when the are both out. The NGK Iridium plugs work very well in these bikes. Check the gap, but do NOT pry on the tiny electrode! Also, be sure to get the intake boot gasket back on correctly to the airbox base when re-installing it. It's easy with a small flathead screwdriver.

A right side scoop (RSS) or the whole complete "Comfort Kit" are good options if you live in warmer climes or want some heat protection for your inner thigh.

Don't ride scared. You'll just give up. This sounds like the biggest bike you've owned, but you are mature enough to figure it out without killing yourself. The bike (and YOU) will be much better off with loose arms, loose neck, grip the tank (airbox) a bit with your thighs, and relax! ATGATT and if you fall off, just get up and try again.

Don't forget to stay aware of your surroundings. Something behind you might be dangerous! (or texting)
    IMG_1129 by Cooter!, on Flickr

Welcome, sinikl! Like you, I was away from motorcycles for a number of years. I owned a 1975 Honda CB400F and then a 1987 Honda Hurricane back in the mid-80's before life took me in other directions. Didn't ride again until about 5 or 6 years ago when I decided it had been too long. Started out wanting to relive the 80s and got a couple of Honda Interceptors and then decided I wanted to ride something newer. Had always loved Buell's...cool design, character, and look...and way more power and torque for the weight than anything I had ridden. Took me awhile to get used to how they handle and their lack of in-town manners...they definitely don't like puttering around at low rpm. You'll get the hang of it. I also took a refresher rider safety course and recently a more advanced course. Definitely worth the time and money..as well as all the gear you are getting. Keep us posted!

submax, that's funny that you had Interceptors. I was elementary age when those came out and I loved reading about them in Cycle World and so on, and actually considered the "buy another motorcycle" because a friend sent me a random link to a sabre on FB... and i was like, oh man remember Interceptors, those were so badass. I actually started this whole mess by looking for an Interceptor!

Also thanks for confirming that i'm not crazy and that the bikes hate being in town .

Cooter, appreciate the tips and yeah, i was death gripping the bars on my little test ride and realized i was doing so and things got better. I am ****ing terrified of getting rear ended.... Driving a lifted jeep lets me look down into the cabin of cars i pass and i'd say 50 percent of people seem to be texting as they drive, which is *Terrifying*.
    Last edited by sinikl; 12-05-2017 at 02:38 PM.

congrats bro...you'll get it in no time. only advice I got is don't drink and ride, not worth it.

You got it man. You're in for a ride... BOOM! PUN!!!!!

Uncle Coot has your back, take his advise.

This Saturday... no excuses! Get up really early, suit up, pick a direction, and ride until the gas light comes on. But don't do it all at once! look for scenic overlooks, neat towns (I'm a sucker for an old skool candy store), and if you pass something you like, by all means... turn around and go back! Got a friend or family member who misses you and is about 130 miles away?? Bring them a little gift! Show them how dang cool you are, then find a gas station and head back before dark.

I promise you, even just that simple thing will show that you can an adventure in your home town. Report back how it goes!

You're welcome

Great advice, Uncle Coot!

sinikl...that's funny that we were both looking for Interceptors. I'm sure a lot of us who grew up in the 80s remember them fondly and want to relive those dreams of having one in the garage. Another friend of mine got back into bikes when a friend of his sold him a Sabre! I will say that the '83 I bought was one smooth running machine...no vibration at all. But, it did suffer from the dreaded camshaft issue that those early models were known for....gave me lots of lessons in wrenching that I never had before replacing those camshafts. I guess that is part of why I wanted to get something a bit more modern. But, those Interceptors are cool. I especially loved the '86 models with the gear driven cams. At any rate...enjoy that Buell! They are a lot of fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12