Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grave to Sturgis

Grave to Sturgis

This sounds odd but I need closure.
    My son Bubba was killed on his XB9R in July/17 and I want to take the Sturgis trip we always talked about. But to "Slay my Dragon" I want to build a Bobber with his Buell motor to ride there. He had a Sportster 48 before the XB and that is what I am thinking it should look like. Fat tires, black laces, yellow peanut, but the heart that stopped his.

Do I start fresh or can I put his XB9 motor in a 48 or ??????
    Last edited by Papa; 12-22-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Very sorry to hear that Papa
    Our hobby isn't the safest but living safely, isn't living.

I just had this conversation with a very unique lady last night. Our conclusion was that 'living right' has nothing to do with longevity. I'm sure he was a very special soul.

Both the XB9R and the Sporty 48 are sweet bikes! Putting the Buell mill in the 48 frame would be the easiest and fastest way to a finished memorial project. What route would you be going to Sturgis?

I agree with coot. Both on life philosophy and the bike build. Should be a breeze to drop a buell heart in a sporty. I would suggest for the sake of cost ,swapping the 9r motor into an older cheap! 883. Already has the pnut tank. And are generally a good blank slate to build how u wish.

Btw. My parents introduced me to motorcycling as well. Took me to Sturgis@ 17yrs old in fact. I've since fell more in love with motorcycling than they have. I know they have often questioned why they introduced me to such a risky hobby. But it is a bit of experiences I wouldn't trade for anything. Even though your sons life ended in tragedy, he did get to Live more than most! Please keep us posted on your build. And your route to Sturgis
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 12-22-2017 at 09:12 PM.

He was doing what he loved... what we loved together. I'm on bike #13 so I understand. But getting to Sturgis on my King Pin just wouldn't be the same.

Western Washington, straight across I-90

Papa, gutted for the loss of your son. Super sorry man. I was placed on a gas tank of a Honda elsinore motocross machine when I was two yrs old and it was all over after that. It was my uncle's machine, growing up i was always around and riding my uncle's dirt bikes but my parents refused to buy me one of my own. I spend most of my seat time now on the racetrack, to this day my father will not come see me ride on the track, he can't stand motorcycles but knows he can't stop me. I wish he and I could enjoy the hobby together like you and your son. Cherish those memories man, turn those wrenches and build that machine you envision and get on down the road to Sturgis. Stay strong and keep us updated on your build.

As I began talking about my plans, it turns out my daughter wants to go with me. She doesn't ride so that would mean 2up and 2400 mi on a bobber with two sounds rough. I may have to rethink this plan. If I part the Buell and all of his other Buell stuff we could put together a fatboy or Bob a Superglide??? Is there interest in a track body for the XB? Where do I sell Buell parts? The bike is not bad as a whole??? Can anyone bring Bubba back and yell April Fools! OK sorry. This bike only has two scuffs in the plastics, a broken foot peg, brake lever, and the stator wire.

Step one: Buy her M/C gear.
    Step two: Enroll her in an MSF class while you build her a bike

She has gear... has more miles behind me than my wife. She is only 19 and a bike just took her brother. I don't see her there yet. I am happy to know she still wants to ride with me!
    Who wants an xb9r with an extra track body? Even with a branded title it should be worth $1000 right???

I apologize for my misogynistic assumption

Happy to hear she's willing to get back on. I hope she gets back to riding very soon. It is a healer too. Post an ad on here in the classifieds, and try BadWeb as well! Lots of racers on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast