Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever successfully removed paint from a cherry bomb airbox

Anyone ever successfully removed paint from a cherry bomb airbox

Took my airbox cover off today to do plugs. I knew it had been flat-blacked by PO. I thought it was blue if anything, because the bike has blue gauge faces and a blue cheese grater. Lo and behold it's red where the seat has been scuffing it.

I planned to get a new cherry bomb airbox anyway, so score? Maybe.

Anyone ever successfully removed paint from a translucent airbox?

I found a thread somewhere that I now cannot find again where someone recommended mineral spirits, I think?

I could also try sanding but I think it would have to be polished after with a buffer?

I removed paint from a regular airbox using laquer thinner. Tread lightly though, not sure how translucent will react?

Lacquer will work, As Buelly said Tread lightly, Once removed if the PO sanded it you will need to start the whole process starting with fine paper and getting finer up to 1200 to 1500 then buff with polishing compound.
    I did it to a blue bug screen.

I'm sure Laquer thinner works when used sparingly, but I'd be afraid it would fog it up? I don't know, just asking...

Or just start by sanding it off.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...cratch-removal

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm sure Laquer thinner works when used sparingly, but I'd be afraid it would fog it up? I don't know, just asking...

Or just start by sanding it off.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...cratch-removal
    That's what i was wondering/worried about too, not sure if it will.

Heck, you know way more than me Buelly! I have an old CherryBomb Lightning windscreen I'm cutting up. Maybe I'll try it on the wasted parts and see?

Once the paint starts to soften up rub off with a rag, to min too long of Lacquer contact with tank. Should be ok.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-11-2017 at 06:22 PM.

dumb followup q: My airbox lid has what looks like an air filter top secured by two hex bolts, with a nifty Thunderstorm 984 logo. removing it shows ... .nothing... underneath, it is literally a plate on top of a solid plate.

Is this something that would have come on a translucent airbox just for looks from above?

No its a moded air filter top, many guys make or buy them .

my airbox has nowhere near this many 'windows' in it, but in the circled area is a (apparently to me) purely cosmetic cover. the little funnel shaped doodad seems to be solid on my airbox lid, but i'm guessing it would have an effect inside the box coupled with the velocity stack.

I can see no reason why they would have made a separate plate in the circled image below.

I've seen people who cut away all of the airbox *except* an area that corresponds with the top of the filter, and i get that, but that is not what i'm talking about.

airboxtop.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast