Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New XB12S owner, failed oil change, need help

New XB12S owner, failed oil change, need help

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, it's a pleasure to be here! I very recently became the proud owner of a 2005 XB12S lightning. Since its winter and I'm waiting for my new plates to arrive, I figured I would catch up on some maintenance. My previous bikes were a 2004 R1 and a 2001 F4i; I've always done all of my own oil changes so how hard could a naked bike be?

I drained the oil without issue, but when I tried to remove the oil filter, I hit a roadblock and couldn't finish. I was able to unscrew the filter, but there is a solid metal bracket that the filter starts to rest on when it gets unscrewed, preventing me from removing it. It looks like I will have to remove the entire metal bracket to get to the filter, but the exhaust is in the way too, so that would also have to come off- just for an oil filter?

I know this can't be right so I figured I'd cut my losses and consult with you guys before I make a big mess. I've uploaded two pictures, one of the oil filter situation, and the other of a part I'm trying to identify. It looks like an air filter, but it is coated in dirt/oil. Any idea what this part is and of I should replace it? The bike has 12k miles on it btw.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Oil filter
    oil1.jpg
    What's this part?
    oil2.jpg

Mike, Milwaukee, WI

You have an aftermarket exhaust, Drummer SS, and that bracket is an aftermarket part designed to mount the plastic fairing to. I have the same set up and I am able to remove the oil filter with the bracket in place.

The little filter is part of a modification made by po known as "engine breather reroute". You can look it up for more info. That rectangular metal box is the catch can, also aftermarket. Usually it has a sintered metal filter up top and a valve that you can open at the bottom to drain the blow by out when it accumulates (which you have). Looks like the po modified the catch can further and attached a mini air filter, I cant see where that mini air filter is attached to from the picture though.

drummer.jpgdrummer 2.jpg

That is the aftermarket drummer catch can. I'm willing to bet he replaced the siniterd filter with that little air filter. Probably using the elbow adapter and a hose running to the mini filter. Or he could have got creative with the hosing, you'll have to investigate. Personally, I would get rid of the air filter and just run it with the sintered metal filter directly into the catch can. That is my set up, it is neater and it works perfectly fine.
    Last edited by GregoXB; 12-11-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks for the info GregXB. Yep I knew about the exhaust and actually got in touch with Kevin at Drummer, he's getting a DB killer ready for me ( want to keep it quiet for my neighbors). Thanks for confirming it's an aftermarket bracket for the lower fairing. I'm keeping my eye open for a lower fairing too.

I'll have to look at it again, I THINK what may have happened is that a threaded bolt that should have stayed in place was also twisting off with the filter, which gave me less clearance so I couldn't pul it out. I'll try again and take more pics if I stil get stuck.

Really appreciate the info on the catch can, I was clueless about what it could be. I'll have to look around for a valve to drain the blow by. Would you reccomend replacng that little filter, or just cleaning it off really good?

The thread for the oil filter is mounted solid to the bike. It will not twist off. If your having trouble, the bracket can be removed for more clearance.

I can see the butterfly drain valve in your picture. It is at the bottom of your catch can. I would toss the little air filter and the hosing and just stick the small metal sintered filter directly into the catch can. That is my set up. Or just pick up a new mini filter at auto zone and replace it, I wouldnt bother cleaning off that thing lol
    Last edited by GregoXB; 12-11-2017 at 02:29 AM.

So I wasn't going to let that filter win, and based on your feedback that I was doing it right I gave it another try. Sure as %#$^ I got it that time! Apparently the oil filter thread was coming off with the filter, preventing me from having enough clearance! Once I found a small enough wrench, I was able to thread it back on while keeping the filter locked in place. Super odd, but I'm glad its off now. I'll need to torque the filter thread in so that doesn't happen again. Check out the pictures.

Also I took a few more pictures of the catch can. Can you point out where the butterfly drain is, I'm not seeing it for some reason. Sorry for the sideways photos, I dont see how to rotate them. Anyhow, thanks again for the help GregoXB!

P.S. Any tips for a good repair manual?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paladinew; 12-11-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    drummer.jpgdrummer 2.jpg

That is the aftermarket drummer catch can. I'm willing to bet he replaced the siniterd filter with that little air filter. Probably using the elbow adapter and a hose running to the mini filter. Or he could have got creative with the hosing, you'll have to investigate. Personally, I would get rid of the air filter and just run it with the sintered metal filter directly into the catch can. That is my set up, it is neater and it works perfectly fine.
    That metal air filter has too much resistance, especially after it is clogged with oil and moisture from engine. My engine rocker box James gaskets were leaking after I installed similar catch can with metal air filer. I would not recommend you to install metal air filter on the catch can. Keep the existing air filter or just detach it from the catch can outlet hose and keep the outlet hose with no filter at all.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-11-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Welcome to the forum!

A free service manual .pdf download can be found at buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Just trash the catch can and leave the hose open. There shouldn't be hardly anything coming out of the hose or you have other (major) issues. If you do want to use a filter for some reason, it won't hurt anything but avoid the sintered metal filters, they'll clog up from the oil vapors.

Once the oil filter is off, remove the threaded part from the engine, clean very well and red (271) Loctite it back in place so that doesn't happen again

That little oil filter you have on there now is so fouled up, it is definitely not letting any air by. You have a few options:

1) Change the filter
    2) Remove the filter and leave the hose draining to the ground.
    3) Ditch the whole catch can and just leave a single house running to the ground.
    4) Replace the entire hose and the little air filter with a little metal sintered filter directly into the catch can. You have to remove the sintered filter periodically to clean it and ensure that it is not clogged. (That's what I do.)

Welcome, Mike! Strange to hear that the oil filter threads started to come off the bike. Keep us posted how that turns out. Looks like you've got the options covered as far as catch can vs no catch can on the breather mod. You'll be fine either way you want to do it...just make sure to double check the mod has been done correctly and keep the catch can/filter well maintained if you choose to keep it. And, make sure to post some pics of the entire bike sometime!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast