Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another rookie post: rocker box cover breather fittings

another rookie post: rocker box cover breather fittings

I swear to you I searched on this topic and struck out, but i'm equally sure this has been covered -- i just can't find it.

in the course of R&R my fouled plugs, i discovered the breather reroute situation on my bike (two hoses teed to a hose to a breather over the swingarm) involved a smashed/twisted breather hose from the rear cylinder hose coming from the top of the rocker box. that, in turn, seemed to be related to the position of the intake air sensor in the base of the airbox, when i sort of dry-fit everything to figure out how this hose got squashed.

THAT led to me noticing the rear cylinder rocker cover hose fitting seemed loose... which corresponds to the weep/mist light spray evident over the rear cylinder RB cover and on down to the rear right side of the motor.

the breather seems to be some sort of a large socket that is easily moved around, and maybe popped off? on the rear cylinder -- while the corresponding front one seems tight and not leaking, but it too can be twisted [i left it alone after discovering that fact]. But i can just wiggle the rear cylinder rocker box breather and have it wobble and show fresh oily stuff when i do. Is it @#%ed?

What next? it seems *reasonably* well seated and there's no runs of oil coming out of the fitting on the VC top.... but this is clearly where the mist over the VC is coming from, i'm thinking. Did PO jury-rig this airbox breather bypass to hide other, deeper sins?

i'm hoping that seating the 'socket' of the breather hose as best i can, and making sure it's not pinched by the IAT sensor, will fix this?

Inactive
    XB breather systems/XB breather re-routes/XB breather mods are some of the most heavily discussed and misunderstood topics on this forum and have been for ages. be prepared for possible info flood along with the occasional horribly incorrect recommendations that accompany same. here's the basics you need to know along with part numbers to resolve your problem. NOTE: this is from experience....memory...dealer TSB's...and schematics. NO copy and paste!
    1-XB's use sportster-based architecture for much of the motor/trans/primary assembly.
    2-the crankcase cavity is what i call "shrink-wrapped" around a single crank-pin assembly. this means the air volume within the crankcase is ever-changing and will work efficiently ONLY if generated air is allowed to escape and NOT be sucked back into the cavity.....hence the one-way airflow design of each rocker cover PCV valve.
    3-a properly done and simplistic breather modification adds a few HP and allows the motor to ingest pure atmosphere and gasoline as opposed to air/gasoline/contaminated crankcase fumes. keep it simple. google "buell XB breather modificiation" then click images. the ones with 3/8th inch ID oil lines connecting to a T fitting then a single identical line going to the rear of the bike with simple $10 open filter assembly at end is what i use and recommend. the "catch can/drain/shut-off valve" gizmos all bull**** and should be avoided. completely unnecessary and needless complexity.
    4-replacement part number list as follows and infinite quantity still in dealer system:
    17606-00YA - Grommet, Viton, Black $2.95 each (need 2)
    17607-00Y - PCV Valve, $6.90 each (need 2)
    NOTE: engine will need to be lowered(rotated) to replace the above items. simple tutorials available on this site.
    5-lastly...the IAT sensor is a critical component of the EFI system and somewhat fragile in its construction. if yours appears compromised or cracked where the wiring harness socket attaches it should be replaced. check it closely.
    factory part # is P0138.K list price $18.49 infinite # still in system.
    and if the above isn't enough info for you here's a link to everything you could possibly ever want to know about XB breather systems....mods...problems....working configurations....do's and don'ts. attached pic is example of simple mod and the basic style of plumbing i've been using for years. works well and bomb-proof.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1034394025

1714_20100319133911_L.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-15-2017 at 10:53 AM.

{golf clap}

Well done Lunatic. The master has spoken

argh. I was hoping to avoid rotating the engine. Now that i searched for PCV i can find lots of threads, some of which mention it "supposedly can be done without rotating" but none that say "yes, i've done this and it was like so".

Anyone got a glimmer of hope for me on this one

The front PCV looks fine fwiw.

The good news for you is, The rear is easy to get to but the front is a the one you will have to rotate the engine in order to get at .
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-15-2017 at 04:15 PM.

If it's just "oil mist" don't worry. Run it until you need to rotate the engine for a bigger reason. Keep an eye on it when you do regular maintenance or wrap a little terrycloth around it and swap it out when its saturated.

Inactive
    argh????
    you're welcome. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    argh????
    you're welcome. good luck
    ha, friggin mellenials lol

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    ha, friggin mellenials lol
    precisely cody! ya know ya sit there....ya open up the microfiches and source part numbers and availability per item plus dealer list pricing........explain the basics of an XB breather system and re-route.....throw in a sample pic for base reference....the do's and dont's....and the millenial response is "argh".
    why do i even bother?

Cause yer a good man and hopefully one day they will be one too. Because they finally learn what their Lib parents didn't teach them..... respect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast